Aquarium or Pond UV Sterilizer Troubleshooting

Carlrs

Jul 16, 2018, 10:00:53 AM7/16/18
to Aquarium disease treatment
FROM:

Forward/Overview: This troubleshooting guide is intended for most all UV Sterilizers and Replacement Bulbs/Lamps, NOT just those purchased from American Aquarium Products.

Also, I realize that not everyone has a multi-meter, other technical equipment, or even the know-how to trouble shoot a UV bulb, but please understand my staff or I usually don't have the correct testing equipment when visiting clients in my aquarium and pond maintenance business.

Hopefully this article will help perform some general troubleshooting without the need for technical tools.

With that said, this cannot suffice for common sense or remedial trial & error skills. Often when I came across a UV Sterilizer where the replacement bulb did not work (especially if the bulb/lamp inside already ceased functioning), I would use a second bulb, and if this bulb failed, it was rather obvious I needed to look into what may be the problem with the UV itself, not the lamp/bulb.

This broke down into FOUR general areas:

  • Failed Ballast.
  • Failed Starter- Which is very common. So much so, I usually kept extra starters with me in the service truck (electronic ballasts do not have a starter).
  • Compromised, disconnected, or otherwise broken wiring.
  • Moisture or even water inside sensitive areas of the UV Sterilizer.

UV Bulb Trouble Shooting Video

Many readers might find this Video Tutorial that examines many aspects of correct UV Bulb use and diagnosing problems with UV Bulbs or the equipment meant to run them.