gnutls-trustfiles settings

FIGUEROA-O'FARRILL Jose

Apr 17, 2019, 4:25:35 PM4/17/19
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Today for the first time ever I tried to install a package (magit) via the emacs package installer, i.e., via M-x package-refresh-contents, M-x package-install,…
and at first it failed with an error from gnutls-cli that the connection had failed. After some trial and error I noticed that the error was that gnutls-cli was being called with "gnutls-cli --x509cafile nil -p 443 stable.melpa.org” which was not working due to the fact that it was not finding any certificates. I looked through the gnutls variables and found gnutls-trustfiles whose original value was

("/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt" "/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt" "/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem" "/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt" "/usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt”)

only that in my system at least there were no certificates in any of these places. I did find /etc/ssl/cert.pem instead and added that to gnutls-trustfiles and things now seem to work.

I’m only mentioning this in this list in case it is of help to anyone else encountering this problem or, what is more likely, that someone can tell me whether I’m missing something obvious.

Mac OS seems to use Keychain to store certificates, but somehow gnutls was not finding them.

Cheers,
José

Prof José Figueroa-O'Farrill
School of Mathematics
University of Edinburgh
PGP Key: 0x6A6BD529 (MIT PGP Key Server)

signature.asc

David Reitter

Apr 17, 2019, 6:30:53 PM4/17/19
to aquamacs-devel, Win Treese
OK, we really need to get the fix for this out. I’m happy to make a release when it’s ready. Win, where are we at with this? Do you want a login for the build server?