two small issues: docstring and fringe default/Tiny setting

Nathaniel Cunningham

Aug 12, 2018, 5:37:31 PM8/12/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Two small issues I found when debugging Hayo's strange left-arrow behavior:

1) Docstring for `aquamacs-left-char' says
"Like `backward-char'..."
where it should say
"Like `left-char'..."
(aquamacs-forward-char already correctly references `forward-char')

2) The default Aquamacs setting for fringe is (fringe-mode 1).
The fringe setting Options --> User Interface --> Fringe --> Tiny sets variable `fringe-mode' to (1 . 1) rather than (1).
Though both (1)  and  (1 . 1) have the same effect -- set both fringes to a width of 1 pixel -- this means that the default setting is equivalent to Tiny, but Tiny is not checked in the menu (and neither is anything else).
The Tiny menu option should set the value (1) instead, then I think it will properly show as checked by default. (Or the default Aquamacs value could be changed to (1 . 1), but that's less consistent with values used in the menu for other symmetric settings like `None' (0) and `Left and Right' (nil).)

David, I can fix these in Github, except I don't know which file to edit for fix (2). Would you like to fix them?

-- Nathaniel

Nathaniel Cunningham

Aug 12, 2018, 8:25:30 PM8/12/18
On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Nathaniel Cunningham <nathaniel....@gmail.com> wrote:

(aquamacs-forward-char already correctly references `forward-char')

Aack,  I mean
(aquamacs-right-char  already correctly references `right-char')
-- Nathaniel

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Aug 13, 2018, 8:43:18 AM8/13/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nathaniel,

Good catch! But that doesn't fix the issue, of course.

Note: the “incorrect” fringe settings are in aquamacs/src/site-lisp/macosx/aquamacs-frame-setup.el and aquamacs/src/site-lisp/macosx/aquamacs-menu.el. I also noticed that when you have the default (left & right) selected, there is no tick-mark.

I've done a little bit of digging and I think that's because instead of being set to nil, it is set to (nil). However, the menu option "left and right" does set it to nil (and after that the tick mark is there). But if you then save the options, quite and reopen, the tick mark is gone again (and the value back to "(nil)").

Something fishy going on in this area, that's for sure...

Cheers,
Hayo

Hayo Baan – IT Services
in...@hayobaan.com
www.hayobaan.com

Hayo Baan – IT Services

LinkedIn Twitter GitHub

David Reitter

Aug 13, 2018, 9:44:52 AM8/13/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
There is a place in aquamacs.el that saves the menu options. That contains a list of the variables included. Is the fringe variable part of it? If you can set it in the menu, it should be.

Nathaniel, go ahead and make changes. From what Hayo wrote it should be clear where the bug is, right?

David

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Aug 13, 2018, 9:55:42 AM8/13/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com

Hi David, Nathaniel,

I've made the changes to aquamacs/src/site-lisp/macosx/aquamacs-frame-setup.el, aquamacs/src/site-lisp/macosx/aquamacs-menu.el, and aquamacs/src/site-lisp/macosx/osxkeys.el that adress the issues AND brings back the tick mark where it is supposed to be.

See attached diff (hmm, I guess I could actually push this as a pull request myself?)

Now to find out why the cursor doesn't move when there is no right fringe...

Cheers,
Hayo

Hayo Baan – IT Services

diff.txt

David Reitter

Aug 13, 2018, 10:02:54 AM8/13/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hayo,
Great. Can you make a merge request on Github?
The second bug you identified is going to be harder to track down. I recall there being some bug like that already, a long time ago. Somebody on the Emacs side fixed it - but apparently not.

David
> <diff.txt>

Hayo Baan – IT Services

Aug 13, 2018, 10:54:29 AM8/13/18
to aquamac...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Pull request made :-)

(perhaps the movement bug was fixed in emacs-26? At least it worked fine
when I tested this with the emacs-mac implementation that already uses
emacs-26).

David Reitter

Aug 13, 2018, 11:53:58 AM8/13/18
to aquamacs-devel
OK then. I’d give it a few days until I have merged Emacs 26.1.
I’m waiting for my laptop to be repaired by Apple (keyboard issues) and it’s got the partial merge on it.
signature.asc