update to at least GNU emacs 26, better 29?

Uwe Brauer

Oct 5, 2023, 10:38:19 AM10/5/23
to aquamacs-devel
HI
I compile  usually GNU emacs myself on Catalina, and learned from a colleague about Aquamacs.
As far as I can see it is based on 25.X and I see two problems, please correct me when I am wrong.

    1) Aquamacs has no package system
    2) quite some packages, auctex for example, maybe gnus and
       org-mode guarantee backward compatibility up to 26.X, which would make it as some point difficult for Aquamacs to use the most recent versions of those packages.

That is why I would like to know: are there any plans to make aquamacs compatible with a more recent GNU emacs version?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

Win Treese

Oct 5, 2023, 5:53:27 PM10/5/23
to oub.o...@gmail.com, aquamac...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Uwe. Welcome to Aquamacs!

Aquamacs does support the Emacs package system, and many packages
work just fine with it. An increasing number are specifying compatibility
only back to Emacs 26.x, which is now causing us some pain because the
older versions aren’t easily available.

By chance, yesterday I sent an update to this list about updating Aquamacs
to a more current Emacs code base, so here it is for you:

Last week, I managed to compile and run (not quite correctly!) Aquamacs
based on the Emacs 28.3 sources, natively compiled on Apple Silicon.

Now I’m working on cleaning up the things that outright don’t work, so
it’s not quite usable. I’m hoping that doesn’t take too long. At that point,
I plan to make available a use-at-your-own-risk version for the adventurous
to try out, while trying to work through the main functions, menus, modes, etc.
to see if they are at least reasonably working. After that, I plan to merge
it up to Emacs 29.1, which should be much, much easier, and then release
test versions that will end up as Aquamacs 4.

If you have any other questions, please ask!

Best,

Win

Win Treese
tre...@acm.org
Aquamacs maintainer

Win Treese

Oct 6, 2023, 8:49:30 PM10/6/23
to Uwe Brauer, aquamac...@googlegroups.com

> BTW does Aquamacs supports prettify-symbols-mode
> (as far as I can remember that was added only in Emaccs 26.X)
>
> This feature allows you to display a lot of mathematical symbols like
> integrals.

Hi, Uwe.

Aquamacs does have prettify-symbols-mode. It’s an older version, and
the newer one will be part of Aquamacs 4, of course.

Best,

Win

Uwe Brauer

Oct 7, 2023, 7:44:12 PM10/7/23
to Win Treese, oub.o...@gmail.com, aquamac...@googlegroups.com
>>> "WT" == Win Treese <tre...@acm.org> writes:
Hi Win

> Hi, Uwe. Welcome to Aquamacs!

Thank your, and thanks for you detailed answer

> Aquamacs does support the Emacs package system, and many packages

This is a relive, of sorts.
> work just fine with it. An increasing number are specifying compatibility
> only back to Emacs 26.x, which is now causing us some pain because the
> older versions aren’t easily available.

Being regularly on the auctex-dev list, I am not surprise to hear, and
especially since Auctex has included quite a bit of features and support
for more LaTeX packages/style files.

BTW does Aquamacs supports prettify-symbols-mode
(as far as I can remember that was added only in Emaccs 26.X)

This feature allows you to display a lot of mathematical symbols like
integrals.
I attach a screenshot (from my Ubuntu machine, but on the MaC it is very
similar)

> By chance, yesterday I sent an update to this list about updating Aquamacs
> to a more current Emacs code base, so here it is for you:

> Last week, I managed to compile and run (not quite correctly!) Aquamacs
> based on the Emacs 28.3 sources, natively compiled on Apple Silicon.

That is excellent! I hope it will be merged soon into the main branch.

Regards

Uwe
--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.