Package conflict between debian and ubuntu

Peter Sjoberg

Aug 14, 2023, 2:39:44 PM8/14/23
to aptly-discuss
Hi all
I'm working on setting up a in house repo to have better control over what package version that are released to our systems.
What I done is basically to
1 - make a mirror of debian and ubuntu
2 - make two dated snapshots, debian-date and ubuntu-date
3 - merge those two snapshots to one - "myrepo"
4 - publish "myrepo"

Now this works for most packages but not all and that's where I have my problem.
We install chromium as a package from debian but that fails because it requires libvorbis0a-1.3.6-2 and libvorbis0a-1.3.6-2ubuntu1 is what's installed already.

What can I do to not have this issue?

Frederic Van Espen

Aug 16, 2023, 3:59:00 AM8/16/23
to Peter Sjoberg, aptly-discuss
Hi,

You should not merge the snapshots into one, but rather publish each snapshot into its own distribution (and to avoid further conflicts even in a separate prefix). e.g.

- Create the debian-date and ubuntu-date snapshots
- publish the debian-date snapshot into the debian prefix
- publish the ubuntu-date snapshot into the ubuntu prefix

Right now you are mixing the debian and ubuntu distributions in the same published snapshot and are probably pulling debian packages into your ubuntu machines and vice versa.

Peter Sjoberg

Aug 17, 2023, 2:12:33 PM8/17/23
to aptly-discuss
Given that having the ubuntu and debian repo available at the same time works I was wondering why it didn't work when copying it over to aptly.
I did finally find my problem, I wasn't doing the debian mirror correct, I was missing "http://deb.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main" and after fixing that it started to work.
/ps