video games for orthopedics

Cindy Knight-Palazzo

Jul 30, 2014, 8:58:16 PM7/30/14
to APTA Tech SIG
Looking for some practical advice from the group.

I have used the Wii Fit in the past and have taken the course Wii-hab. I found the games worked well along with verbal and manual cues; the patient could concentrate on the game and the PT could concentrate on movement patterns. It made PT more fun for the patient. I especially liked the balance board and the ability to perform balance exercises on it.

I'm now in another clinic and looking to add video games again. I was wondering if anyone had any advise on using another gaming platforms, as I am not familiar with the others. I like the idea of not having to hold the remote.

I am most concerned with orthopedic and balance issues.

Thanks,
Cindy Knight-Palazzo, PTMSOCS
CORA Rehabilitation
Haines City, FL

Christopher Peterson

Jul 31, 2014, 7:57:41 AM7/31/14
to aptat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your post Cindy.

Gaming platforms for telerehabilitation is a developing market. You might check out Jintronix.

They are doing innovative work with wearables integrated into gaming software specifically targeted at telerehabilitation.

I hope this is helpful.
Chris

Erik Trentrock

Jan 19, 2015, 1:14:58 PM1/19/15
to aptat...@googlegroups.com, cg...@yahoo.com
Hi Cindy,

I've developed therapy gaming programs for a couple of hospitals and right now the best system out there is the xbox 360 with kinect.  The nice thing about the kinect is that it tracks full body movement and you don't use a controller, so playing the games is very natural (ie you kick to kick a virtual ball). Check out my webpage for details on how to setup a gaming system and a guide for picking games for specific tasks.  http://therapygaming.com/

let me know if you have any questions :)

Erik

Erik Trentrock, PT, DPT, NCS
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh