"The one wall that has survived is the main tiled wall which everybody knows in the town, as you walk in on the left hand side. It's like the feature wall, and we've done the colour scheme around that wall, to keep it how the Royal has been.
The Royal on Marine Road has undergone a major makeover and will open its doors on Saturday (May 6) as 'The Royal Bar and Shaker'.\n\nThe pub was forced to close last year after a flood caused damage to two floors of the three-storey building.\n\nSince then the decor, bar and furnishings have been completely renovated, and the new Royal will reopen on Saturday late afternoon\/early evening with an emphasis on cocktails.\n\nNew leaseholder Chris Donaldson spoke to Beyond Radio ahead of the reopening.\n\nLISTEN to our interview with Chris Donaldson\n\n\n \n\n\n"It's been a massive change, it's exciting and I can't wait to get going to be honest," said Chris.\n\n"From top to bottom all the rooms have been done, the toilets have been revamped and changed around, the floor has come up, everything.\n\n"The one wall that has survived is the main tiled wall which everybody knows in the town, as you walk in on the left hand side. It's like the feature wall, and we've done the colour scheme around that wall, to keep it how the Royal has been.\n\n\n\n"The front and back doors have stayed but other than that, there's not much that's stayed, really.\n\n"There was a flood to do with the sewerage and it's flooded two levels. That's why it was closed.\n\n"The water had gone through into the bar downstairs. There was quite a lot of water at the time but people are going to come and see massive change. The landlords have invested in the building.\n\n\n\n"It will be different, it won't be like the Royal of old, because it's had so much of a change with the decor. We're hoping people like it."\n\nThe former Heysham High School pupil said there will be around 20 new jobs created at the Royal.\n\nHe said the 'Shaker' name is because they will be serving cocktails, with the help of expert mixologists from Manchester.\n\n"We decided to go with Shaker because it's quirky, and I think the building and decor is quirky. It goes with what we're trying to achieve," he said.\n\nWork on the upper floors to create 12 bedrooms will continue for the next six-to-eight weeks, and once the hotel is open Chris said they will launch a 'bar and grill' style food menu.\n\n\n\nChris previously ran the Fusion peri-peri chicken restaurant on Pedder Street in Morecambe town centre alongside his business partner Marcus Harrington.\n\nThey decided to close Fusion last September due to rising prices caused by the cost of living crisis, but Mr Donaldson said the time was right to go back into the hospitality industry.\n\n"Eden has been announced, that's a major factor," he said.\n\n"We've toyed with opening Fusion back up and hopefully in time it will come back."\n\nRelated Story: Morecambe restaurant to close due to rising costs - Beyond Radio\n\n\n\nThe Royal was built in around 1850 and the building is owned by the O'Hagan family, who have funded the refurbishment.","image":"https:\/\/mmo.aiircdn.com\/458\/64552f14a543d.jpg","datePublished":"2023-05-04T21:23:14+00:00","url":"https:\/\/www.beyondradio.co.uk\/news\/local-news\/massive-change-to-morecambe-pub-and-hotel-as-it-prepares-to-reopen-after-flood\/","publisher":"@type":"Organization","name":"Beyond Radio","headline":"INTERVIEW and PHOTOS: 'Massive change' to Morecambe pub and hotel as it prepares to reopen after flood","author":"@type":"Person","name":"Greg Lambert"} Search Search Local Business Partners
c80f0f1006