Igate failing to relay aprsis traffic

MJ Inabnit

Dec 15, 2020, 1:51:24 AM12/15/20
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com

Version: 2.9.0+dfsg-2

Greetings,

today during my APRS net, I realized my comport failed. I rebooted my
system and reset my TNC. There were stations attempting to send in
check-ins and aprx was receiving this from aprsis, however, aprx went
stupid and refused to transmit any of these packets.

At one point, I turned on my aprs ht. I tried to send a test message to
the ht using xastir. my aprx received the packets from aprsis and heard
my ht direct, yet it would not forward the aprsis packets to my tnc--it
simply ignored aprsis even while it was hearing every packet I sent from
the hd as I send ID after ID...

What is making aprx stupid? is there a probation period of time after a
reboot?

Normally this software works amazing, so right now I am completely stumped.

5 hours later, aprx is able to relay aprsis message between my hf at xastir.

why?

How can I force aprx to relay the aprsis traffic after a reboot?

tu & 73

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Max Harper

Dec 15, 2020, 11:10:17 AM12/15/20
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
First a question about the version, what is +dfsg-2? Mine shows
Aprx v2.9.0-28-g13c6e79

Since you indicated that this had been running for a while with no issues have other you considered that you may be having computer problems rather than just APRX problems?

You gave no real information on your system so it's going to be hard for anyone to help you. Have you checked the logs, both system and aprx? Have you tried running aprx in diagnostic mode? Are other programs working correctly?

Max

LAPADU-HARGUES Matthieu (GMAIL)

Dec 15, 2020, 1:01:39 PM12/15/20
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Are you sure radio and TNC links are good without any cut wire ?
I think about this kind of issue because if APRX cannot hear your HT first,  it does not transmit any message to it from APRS-IS.
If you did not change any software version or configuration parameter, I do not see any reason APRX became suddenly stupid.

Good luck and tell us if you try something else.

73 de F4ACU

Matthieu

MJ Inabnit

Dec 15, 2020, 2:06:05 PM12/15/20
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for assist!

I was quite tired and torked when I posted original msg. So I will
include more details, logs, and config file.

My OS is Ubuntu 20-4 LTS, the aprx came via debian (testing?) through an
Ubuntu hacker from Ubuntu repository.

Tnc is PK12 and rock solid, as is the Icom 2m rig.

Cables are 100% for both RF and computer comport.

Comport is a real comport on my ibm thinkpad from 2005 (oh they are rare!)

Yes, I did run aprx in diagnostic mode after I updated the OS several
months ago. Aprx has no issues with the config file.

I have run into issues with this Ubuntu release moving my comports.
However, once I pinned down what was going on, all is mostly well.
Fortunately, the real comport hasn't suffered being relocated only my
USB>COM ports have had issues. Aprx uses my real comport (ttyS0).

However, yesterday morning, I had a software update waiting, so I let
the system do it's security update. I think this is likely where my
comport stopped working. You can see that I rebooted the system and
finally restored 100% copy from my TNC to the computer. And this is
where aprx went stupid. My system (including aprx) copied all my ID's
from my HT but would not route aprsis data to the HT or, in this case
kb6de-9 which had also been heard.

This is where I am trying to dig down to. WHY is aprs getting stupid
after a reboot?

This has happened before where aprx fails to route aprsis data after a
reboot. I've never been able to figure out why however.

Again, I really appreciate all the input and ideas.

73

On 12/15/20 10:01 AM, LAPADU-HARGUES Matthieu (GMAIL) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you sure radio and TNC links are good without any cut wire ?
> I think about this kind of issue because if APRX cannot hear your HT
> first,  it does not transmit any message to it from APRS-IS.
> If you did not change any software version or configuration parameter, I
> do not see any reason APRX became suddenly stupid.
>
> Good luck and tell us if you try something else.
>
> 73 de F4ACU
>
> Matthieu
On 12/15/20 8:10 AM, 'Max Harper' via Aprx software wrote:> First a
question about the version, what is +dfsg-2? Mine shows
> Aprx v2.9.0-28-g13c6e79
>
> Since you indicated that this had been running for a while with no
> issues have other you considered that you may be having computer
> problems rather than just APRX problems?
>
> You gave no real information on your system so it's going to be hard for
> anyone to help you. Have you checked the logs, both system and aprx?
> Have you tried running aprx in diagnostic mode? Are other programs
> working correctly?
>
> Max

> Le mar. 15 déc. 2020 à 07:51, MJ Inabnit <ke6...@arrl.net

MJ Inabnit

Dec 15, 2020, 3:32:50 PM12/15/20
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
> Hi,
>
> Are you sure radio and TNC links are good without any cut wire ?
> I think about this kind of issue because if APRX cannot hear your HT
> first,  it does not transmit any message to it from APRS-IS.
> If you did not change any software version or configuration parameter, I
> do not see any reason APRX became suddenly stupid.
>
> Good luck and tell us if you try something else.
>
> 73 de F4ACU
>
> Matthieu
On 12/15/20 8:10 AM, 'Max Harper' via Aprx software wrote:> First a
question about the version, what is +dfsg-2? Mine shows
> Aprx v2.9.0-28-g13c6e79
>
> Since you indicated that this had been running for a while with no
> issues have other you considered that you may be having computer
> problems rather than just APRX problems?
>
> You gave no real information on your system so it's going to be hard for
> anyone to help you. Have you checked the logs, both system and aprx?
> Have you tried running aprx in diagnostic mode? Are other programs
> working correctly?
>
> Max

> Le mar. 15 déc. 2020 à 07:51, MJ Inabnit <ke6...@arrl.net
> <mailto:ke6...@arrl.net>> a écrit :