APRSIS Rx Woes

Eric Brown

Jan 13, 2023, 10:22:05 PM1/13/23
to Aprx software
I am hoping that someone in the group can steer me in the right direction.

I am running APRX on a Pi2B+ with an Argent data Opentracker 2 and an Motorola Radius M1225 radio.  I have confirmed internet connectivity at the pi via surfing the web is raspian.

The RF side works as expected, I can watch the tail and see the in bound beacons and digipeated outbound (though not every inbound is digi'd out) as well as my TX of many preset radio club beacons.

I randomly receive APRSIS beacons via the pi. I have another PI, a PI 3B set up with YAAC and a windows PC running PinPoint and both stream in APRSIS like its nobody's biz! Seeing this recently, has opened my eyes that something may not be set right!

My APRSIS setting is,

<aprsis>
passcode xxxxx
server rotate.aprs2.net
</aprsis>

What am I missing here, should I expect APRX to stream in APRSIS?
Anyone

Thank you in advance.

Eric  VE3EB

Scott Evans

Jan 14, 2023, 1:02:36 AM1/14/23
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
The aprsis passcode being displayed as XXXXX is that to hide the numbers? Or are they set that way?

Eric Brown

Jan 14, 2023, 8:27:40 AM1/14/23
to Aprx software
To hide the numbers.

Erik, PA0ESH

Jan 15, 2023, 5:58:45 AM1/15/23
to Aprx software
Eric,
You should be able to see in the Raspberry aprx logs to what aprs server you are connected. You can then go th the site of the server and see if your call shows up with no strange settings. Or you can watch real time:

first kiIll the aprx process
killall aprx
then restart manually from the command line with
aprx -ddv

I see as output regarding aprsis: 2023-01-15 10:44:52.281 CONNECT APRSIS netherlands.aprs2.net:14580
so then you got to http://netherlands.aprs2.net:14501 and check your call is there.
Note that the ports differ. 14501 is to look uop your aprs server you are connected to with a browser whereas aprx uses port 14580

your settings for aprsis are ok, except that i dont know what password you entered. But that is no secret if you go to this site https://apps.magicbug.co.uk/passcode/
Here are my settings:

mycall PA0ESH-10
myloc lat 5215.52N lon 00645.48E

<aprsis>
server             netherlands.aprs2.net                                           # use rotate, i used my server to show the test
passcode       XXXXX
filter                 a/52.53083/06.34767/52.12633/07.226667   # i only look for signals from a specified area
heartbeat-timeout 1m
</aprsis>
Hope you get it working...

Erik, PA0ESH

Eric Brown

Jan 15, 2023, 7:33:35 AM1/15/23
to Aprx software
Erik

Thank you for the response and information. I am not a linux type person but managed with some help back in 2014'ish to get two PIas ruining APRX. both have been chugging along until now. I After looking at a few posts on the group i noticed that I was missing a filter, not sure if that actually solved the issue or not. I did use the sudo -dddv cmd and saw that the Pi was in fact receiving APRSIS. I rebooted and executed APRX and off she went.  The PI is ow streaming as I had would have expected.

Thank you again for you support.