OT is there a Raspbian Jessie repository available?

Nate Bargmann

Jan 27, 2022, 1:44:17 PM1/27/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

Long story short, I am still running aprx on an original Pi model B and
have it running in a cut down version of Raspbian from a 2 GB SD card.
As I have already had one Pi B suffer a hardware failure to where the
USB/Ethernet ports are not visible to the OS and since I pressed my
spare into service and since those old Pis are getting to be at a
premium, I want to make sure I have all things backed up for inevitable
hardware/software upgrade.

My intention is to use rsync as I do with other such systems but it was
not installed on this one and now the Raspbian repository link is dead.
Web searching revealed that raspbian.org has archives that are no older
than Stretch.

Perhaps someone here knows of or has access to the
rsync_3.1.1-3+deb8u1_armhf.deb package from Raspbian, not Debian as I
did install the Debian package of the same name/version and was
ultimately greeted with segmentation faults!

TIA

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

signature.asc

David Ranch

Jan 27, 2022, 2:14:07 PM1/27/22
to Aprx software
Hello Nate,

What are you trying to do?  Jessie is obsolete, isn't receiving any more updates, etc. so getting a replacement repo won't do you much good.  Maybe you're just looking for an Raspian OS image that uses Jessie (and hopefully you won't be connecting this to the Internet)?

--David
KI6ZHD

Nate Bargmann

Jan 27, 2022, 2:43:20 PM1/27/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
* On 2022 27 Jan 13:14 -0600, David Ranch wrote:
> Hello Nate,
>
> What are you trying to do? Jessie is obsolete, isn't receiving any more
> updates, etc. so getting a replacement repo won't do you much good. Maybe
> you're just looking for an Raspian OS image that uses Jessie (and hopefully
> you won't be connecting this to the Internet)?

I know all of that, David, but it is still working! I at least want to push
a comprehensive backup to my off site host. If nothing else I can
stroll out there and make a copy of the SD card image to my laptop.

I just want to find an archive with the rsync_3.1.1-3+deb8u1_armhf.deb
package from Raspbian that I can install.

73, Nate
signature.asc

Randy Hall

Jan 27, 2022, 3:01:43 PM1/27/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Try http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rsync/rsync_3.1.1-3+deb8u1_armhf.deb

Or for the US mirrors: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rsync/

They still have the package on the mirrors, just not available via package management as I understand it. So you'll have to download it and install it yourself.

--
Randy Hall
Pronouns: he/him/his

Nate Bargmann

Jan 27, 2022, 3:22:46 PM1/27/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
* On 2022 27 Jan 14:02 -0600, Randy Hall wrote:
> Try
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rsync/rsync_3.1.1-3+deb8u1_armhf.deb

I had downloaded, installed, and tried the Debian package and it
segfaults. I was hoping to find a Raspbian Jessie repository like
Debian has everywhere so I could download and manually install the
package, but the Raspbian site has removed everything older than
Stretch. It is apparent that despite the exact same name that there are
binary differences, at least with my system.

Thanks!
signature.asc

Randy Hall

Jan 27, 2022, 5:03:12 PM1/27/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
You might try pointing apt-sources at the debian repo directly (rather than raspbian.org).

I'm flying blind on some of these ideas, I haven't used Jessie in forever, and I don't usually use Raspbian/Raspberry OS these days anyway. I'm more of a DietPi guy.

--R

--
Randy Hall
Pronouns: he/him/his

Nate Bargmann

Jan 30, 2022, 7:18:29 AM1/30/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
First off, thanks for all of the ideas and replies.

I can report success. This morning in a fit of boredom I started going
through the list of mirrors on raspbian.org[1] and finally landed on[2]
which has the rsync_3.1.1-3+deb8u2_armhf.deb package which is probably
slightly newer but installed and works without a segfault! My sincere
thanks to whomever kept that way out of date set of packages on their
mirror.

Yes, at some point this system will get upgraded but for now it is
percolating along and will be getting regular backups.

73, Nate, N0NB

[1] https://raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
[2] http://mirror.infonline.de/raspbian/raspbian/pool/main/r/rsync/
signature.asc