KISS over TCP

Greg Hovland

Jan 7, 2022, 12:18:03 AM1/7/22
to Aprx software
Is there a way to use APRX to take data received and send it back out on a LAN via KISS over TCP?

I would like to take APRS data and make it available to computers connected to the AREDN Mesh network.

Thanks in advance.

Greg, W9IKU

Patrick Domack

Jan 7, 2022, 12:23:55 AM1/7/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
aprx isn't going to do that, though you can likely hack it maybe using socat

the normal linux ax25 stack should be able to do that without much
work though, just using kissattach and it's related ax25 utils.

I'm not sure what you mean by KISS over TCP. but it can easily be done
using TNC2 format over tcp, and maybe with alittle more work
ax.25/pack6/... format over tcp
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprx-software/1f9e6742-048e-4060-9289-2d2f15d687d4n%40googlegroups.com.

Greg Trasuk

Jan 7, 2022, 10:25:28 PM1/7/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg:

Here’s a utility that I wrote, that might be helpful. https://github.com/trasukg/share-tnc

What it does is allows you to share a serial TNC or DireWolf instance between multiple clients. You run ’share-tnc’ on the machine that is closest to the TNC, and then other programs can access the shared TNC through KISS-over-TCP. So for example, your AREDN nodes could share a single TNC at a repeater site. Also, when one of the clients sends a packet, the packet is relayed to any other clients, so the clients can talk to each other. It also works nicely with APRX, so you can still have a digipeater on the shared TNC; just setup APRX to connect to the share-tnc instance using KISS-over-TCP.

Cheers,
Greg Trasuk VA3TSK.

Kenneth Finnegan

Jan 8, 2022, 7:52:30 PM1/8/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
Aprx supports talking to remote KISS TNCs over TCP. I've used this to have Aprx run as an I-gate for remote TNCs plugged into those little RS-232 console servers.

But if you're looking to share APRS information received by Aprx with other local systems, you probably want to spin up an aprsc server and have Aprx feed the APRS-IS server, so other clients on your network can connect to it like clients are designed to connect to APRS-IS servers.

Max Harper

Jan 11, 2022, 2:33:30 PM1/11/22
to aprx-s...@googlegroups.com
There is LDSPED. It works well for me.