TRACKING

Chilton Hawk

Dec 31, 2022, 2:59:39 AM12/31/22
to aprs.fi
I just joined today, and I tested my radio, I put in my call sign, and I keep getting error messages saying not in database How do we fix this?

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 4, 2023, 6:13:08 PM1/4/23
to aprs.fi
On Mon, 26 Dec 2022, Chilton Hawk wrote:

> I just joined today, and I tested my radio, I put in my call sign, and I
> keep getting error messages saying not in database How do we fix this?

There may be a lot of reasons for this, but the usual reason is that
aprs.fi is likely not receiving packets your radio has transmitted, or
your radio is not transmitting packets.

You can verify if any of the packets are making through to aprs.fi by
looking them up in the raw packets view: https://aprs.fi/?c=raw

If they show up, and there are errors listed, the radio is transmitting
something that aprs.fi can't parse or use. Switching from "Normal" mode to
"Decoded" mode in the raw packets view (using the drop-down menu item in
the top) will make it show how each packet was decoded, and it'll then be
easier to figure out if there's something wrong with the coordinates, or
such.

If the packets are not showing up in the raw packets view, your radio is
not transmitting, or the transmissions are not being heard by an APRS
iGate (assuming your radio is in fact an APRS radio and not a DMR or
D-Star radio...).

If the radio is, in fact, transmitting, you may need a better antenna,
place the antenna/radio to a higher location, go closer to an APRS iGate
or Digipeater to reach the network. Perhaps even set one up if there's no
current APRS network coverage in your area. The digipeaters and igates
should be visible on the APRS map, and the filter tool makes it possible
to only show those.

This discussion forum is dedicated for discussing the aprs.fi web site
itself, and the aprs.fi iOS app, so if you have further questions on
iGate/digipeater setup, please post them on a more generic APRS discussion
forum.

If the radio is not transmitting, or it's misconfigured somehow, and you
need to seek help with it, please post to one of the forums / groups
dedicated to that radio or manufacturer, or ask for help from the support
of the manufacturer, or its reseller.

I have listed a few starting points in the group's welcome message:
https://groups.google.com/g/aprsfi

- Hessu