Weather station apparently roams around when I'm not looking...

W4LED

Aug 22, 2021, 2:16:37 PM8/22/21
to aprs.fi
I've got a situation where my WX station appears to move. There is a red line from my location to the middle of a field about 7-8 miles away. Sometimes the line is green. Earlier today the position info in aprs.fi (website and app) was reporting a speed of 163 MPH. If there's a GPS coordinates issue, I cannot find it, as the coordinates all match in my reporting software and WX station config.

Has anyone else encountered such a phenomenon?

Heikki Hannikainen

Aug 22, 2021, 2:24:20 PM8/22/21
to 'W4LED' via aprs.fi
aprs.fi mostly just displays what it receives, so if it is seems to be
moving, it is likely moving :)

If however it is not *that* windy, you might have one of the following:

* Using a GPS when reporting position of a fixed station - the GPS will
roam around a little bit over time; if your station is fixed it's best to
just configure fixed coordinates instead of getting live position from the
GPS

* Multiple pieces of software reporting a position, with slightly
different configurations

* Multiple stations using the same callsign-SSID

* Station configured with Position Ambiguity, i.e. not precise
coordinates, in which case the receiving end will move it around a bit
randomly since the precise location is not known

Since you did not mention what your station's callsign is (not W4LED as
that appears to be a car) it's hard to make more educated guesses. It'd
be good if we could look at the data. This is fairly common problem as
well.

- Hessu

W4LED

Aug 22, 2021, 2:28:25 PM8/22/21
to aprs.fi
Thanks for the response! I think I have it sorted now and just posted what I learned.

Len

W4LED

Aug 22, 2021, 2:28:28 PM8/22/21
to aprs.fi
I finally figured this out. I debated deleting my original post but decided to leave it out there in case anyone else runs into a similar problem.

I use Weather Snoop 5 to report data to various services. It has a Locations settings area that does not accurately report location information. More specifically, it does not act on lat/lon values with sufficient granularity to report position. Therefore, my station is reporting two locations, the precise one using my lat/lon values I have set in CWOP, and a second "ghost" location, based on Weather Snoop's handling of lat/lon values within the application. I've attempted to communicate with the WS developers and have removed the location information from the agent area of the application in the meantime.

Cheers