aprs.fi baofeng uv5r k2 cable iphone screen freeze

Geoffrey Dann

May 28, 2021, 2:33:09 AM5/28/21
to aprs.fi
Baofeng UV-5R to iPhone 5 with BTech K2 cable. Software modem set up. Receive is fine. After transmit, iPhone screen becomes unresponsive to touch for 15 seconds to several minutes, sometimes until I disconnect the cable and push the phone top button. Same symptoms with iPhone SE (original, same guts as iPhone 6). The radio and cable seem to work ok with an old iPad mini.
Ideas?
thanks, geoff N3CFX

Heikki Hannikainen

May 31, 2021, 8:02:25 AM5/31/21
to aprs.fi
Hi,

Sounds either like a bug, or RFI.

Could you confirm if the issue can be reproduced with the Baofeng
disconnected from the cable? I.e. the app transmits to a cable which is
not connected to a radio at all? Or, alternatively, with the cable not
connected to the iPhone?

If that helps, and the issue does not reproduce, it might be RFI. Could
try with an external antenna, or a dummy load for testing, and with
additional ferrite in the K2 cable.

If it fails even with cable disconnected, it must be a bug of some sort.

- Hessu

Geoffrey Dann

Jun 2, 2021, 12:39:34 PM6/2/21
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Hessu -
Thanks for the reply.
I tested with different cable connections, and keying the UV5R with the PTT button or with the iPhone aprsr.fi “beacon” button.
Test results:
no cable connected, PTT, ok
cable to iPhone only, PTT, iphone freezes
cable to radio only, PTT, ok
cable to both, PTT, iphone freezes
cable to both, beacon, iphone freezes

cable to both, 1 ferrite, beacon, iphone freezes
cable to both, 2 ferrites, beacon, iphone freezes
cable to both, 4 ferrites, beacon, iphone freezes sometimes
cable to both, 1 ferrite, PTT, iphone freezes
cable to both, 2 ferrites, PTT, ok
cable to both, 4 ferrites, PTT, ok

cable to both, 6 ferrites, PTT, ok
cable to both, 6 ferrites, beacon, ok

Actually, for “6 ferrites”, I looped the cable 2 times through 2 of the ferrite beads.
I do not know what kind of ferrite beads I have. They came from a junk drawer. I ordered a Mobilinkd modem and two of the ferrite beads that Mobilinkd sells. I will test with them when they arrive.

Also, I noticed that pushing the iPhone top button once, then the home button twice restores the screen without waiting a long time.

Thanks for your great advice!

geoff

Chris Clement

Sep 25, 2021, 1:23:45 PM9/25/21
to aprs.fi
Is this working with the beacon button only, not pressing PTT on radio?