Openstreet

Joe Wussler

Feb 27, 2024, 3:44:10 PMFeb 27
to aprs.fi
I just saw aprs.fi switched opensteet maps is there a way to still overlay KML fiiles?

Heikki Hannikainen

Feb 27, 2024, 4:17:04 PMFeb 27
to aprs.fi
On Mon, 26 Feb 2024, Joe Wussler wrote:

> I just saw aprs.fi switched opensteet maps is there a way to still overlay KML fiiles?

To be more precise, aprs.fi switched to Leaflet library, at least
temporarily, from the Google Maps API. Leaflet does not support KML
files, so no, not at this moment.

There is GeoJSON support in Leaflet, so maybe I can implement that at some
point; it would be available on Google Maps API too.

It does also load map tiles from my OSM tile server, so the map data is
currently based on OSM, but that is not related to whether KML can be
supported. aprs.fi does have an OSM tile layer selectable even when
running with the Google Maps API.

- Hessu

Arnie Shore

Feb 28, 2024, 1:46:10 AMFeb 28
to apr...@googlegroups.com

Vernon Marris

Feb 28, 2024, 3:29:23 PMFeb 28
to aprs.fi

Thanks for the heads up, have just run an update on win 10 and now my APRS.fi looks like crap, with the insipid looking street map view...
I really really do hope they return to Google maps, imho look far more pleasing on the eye, and you get way more options. Street view, satellite etc  at least on my other PC its still working properly, presumably until I install a win update
Regards Vernon ZL4VM

Heikki Hannikainen

Feb 28, 2024, 4:13:38 PMFeb 28
to aprs.fi
On Tue, 27 Feb 2024, Vernon Marris wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up, have just run an update on win 10 and now my APRS.fi looks like crap, with the insipid looking street map view...
> I really really do hope they return to Google maps, imho look far more pleasing on the eye, and you get way more options. Street view, satellite etc
> at least on my other PC its still working properly, presumably until I install a win update

The Google Maps API product is quite expensive. Google has offered a very
generous free use credit for the use of the API on aprs.fi, which has
allowed me to use it so far. The credit accidentally expired in January.
An extension might be granted, but in the mean time, we're with Leaflet +
my own OSM tile server.

To get an idea of the price involved, go to this URL, look for "Dynamic
Maps" -> "Maps JavaScript API" and try to draw the slider to about
800000-1000000 map loads that aprs.fi has every month, to get a rough
monthly price quote.

https://mapsplatform.google.com/pricing/

At this price, I *really* can't afford it, and it's not quite worth the
price.

- Hessu

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Feb 29, 2024, 3:15:14 AMFeb 29
to aprs.fi
> now my APRS.fi looks like crap, with the insipid looking street map view...
> I really really do hope they return to Google maps, imho look far more pleasing on the eye

"To each his own" and so on, personally I much prefer the OSM maps, and think the Goog ones look like crap   :-D
I use OSM in all my own mapping projects for both reasons - the nicer looks, AND the awful google pricing model.

But hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure etc   :-)
73 - Nick VA3NNW

K9WX

Feb 29, 2024, 8:12:33 AMFeb 29
to aprs.fi
It looks like Leaflet at least includes county lines in their maps.  Overlays would be an enhancement, but for a state QSO party mobile or rover, the county line info is first-tier essential.

Tim K9WX

Bob Burns AK9R

Mar 6, 2024, 4:09:28 AMMar 6
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On 02/29/2024 8:12 AM, K9WX wrote:
> It looks like Leaflet at least includes county lines in their maps.

County lines *and* more prominent Interstate highway exit numbers.

Bob...

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 19, 2024, 4:25:33 AMApr 19
to aprs.fi
On Thu, 29 Feb 2024, K9WX wrote:

> It looks like Leaflet at least includes county lines in their maps.  Overlays would be an enhancement,
> but for a state QSO party mobile or rover, the county line info is first-tier essential.

Just to clarify: The map tiles come from OpenStreetMap (OSM). They do not
come from Leaflet.

Leaflet is a piece of JavaScript software running in your browser which
tells it to download the right OSM map graphics tiles, places APRS symbols
and other overlays on it, as requested by the software of aprs.fi, and
allows you to zoom & drag it around.

- Hessu