API Rate Limits

Doug Kaye

Apr 24, 2024, 5:39:55 PMApr 24
to aprs.fi
I'm working on an app that displays about a dozen APRS trackers on a map. It shows a logical name instead of the callsign. For example, "Sweep 1" instead of "K6DRK-4". The purpose is to support local public service events such as bike and foot races. I'm using leaflet to interface to Google Maps.

But I'm quickly hitting the API race limits. I'd like to query the dozen callsigns every 30 seconds or so, but my guess is that's too many and too frequent.

Is this a proper application or does it violate the aprs.fi rules? Can the rate limit be adjusted?

     …doug

Joni Kähärä

Apr 25, 2024, 6:44:35 AMApr 25
to aprs.fi
Hi,

Your use case sounds like "streaming", so perhaps it would make sense to tap into APRS-IS directly?

Also note that the fact that one can "request data for up to 20 targets" would cause problems if your dozen stations suddenly needs to be two dozen, for example.

    Joni OH2EWL

Ryan Tourge

Apr 28, 2024, 2:52:07 PMApr 28
to apr...@googlegroups.com
If you are using your own mapping why not just tap the APRS stream directly via one of the same servers APRS.fi gets it's data from?

Shawn Stoddard

Apr 28, 2024, 2:52:24 PMApr 28
to 'Steffan Jeschek' via aprs.fi
Are you making individual queries or one request with all call signs?

Bob Poortinga

Apr 28, 2024, 2:52:51 PMApr 28
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Why aren't you connecting directly to the APRS-IS servers instead of aprs.fi ?

Bob W9IZ

Ricardo Guzman

Apr 28, 2024, 2:52:59 PMApr 28
to aprs.fi
hi Doug,

why not connect to the aprs feed to avoid the API calls and see all the packets needed in real time?

Dan Carter

Apr 29, 2024, 3:02:33 AMApr 29
to apr...@googlegroups.com
I asked a question about APRS and was booted for some reason. I would stay away from this group. Why am I getting emails if I don't get to ask questions. Not cool at all.

Doug Kaye

Apr 29, 2024, 3:02:42 AMApr 29
to aprs.fi
Thanks to all who suggested it. I'm working on getting a feed directly from the higher-level aprs servers.

   ...doug

Fred Hillhouse Jr

Apr 29, 2024, 8:12:11 AMApr 29
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Typical APRS use feeds you the latest position from each tracker each time it beacons. From my system at home, I could get all the latest updates as well without anything special. Of course, with packet collisions, I may have to wait for the next. If there was a collision, no one captured the beacon, therefore it won't be on any servers.

If the tracker is beaconing every 10 minutes, you won't get anything at a 5 minute mark. You can make the trackers beacon more often but now it is possible to overload the channel. If you are using a different frequency than 144.39 (US), then there is no impact on other APRS users. For that to work, your own iGates and digipeaters are needed.

Are you requesting a position from the tracker directly?

If you are only wanting to see particular trackers (stations), use filters. "Shrieks" come to mind. Each tracker would have it added to its comment. The APRSIS32 has functionality for it.

Each tracker could also use a tactical call sign. An example might be ABC1, ABC2, etc. In the comment, add the call sign of the club or user. Then, a filter for ABC* would get you all the stations starting with ABC.

Hope something helps!
Fred

aprs.fi

Apr 30, 2024, 3:44:40 PMApr 30
to aprs.fi

Dan,

Your question was not about aprs.fi. It was not about the aprs.fi web site, or the aprs.fi app, and it was rejected because it was off topic for this aprs.fi specific group. Don't take it personally, it happens a lot, I moderate a lot of non-aprsfi-specific messages away to keep things on topic. You were not booted, just the single message.

Please read the welcome message sent to new group subscribers. It's also visible at the top of the group: https://groups.google.com/g/aprsfi - it starts like this:

Please share your questions, answers, ideas, tips and tricks about aprs.fi here. Please only post messages which are directly related to the aprs.fi web site or the aprs.fi iPhone app.

There's a bunch of more generic APRS groups, and groups specific to different equipment, linked from the welcome message.