Time anomaly

Marc “K8MH” In Michigan

Apr 24, 2024, 5:39:02 PMApr 24
to aprs.fi
My APRS is working 100% - with one weird exception.  I dont know how to determine a solution.

I live in MI.  If I do NOT sign-in to aprs.fi, My default location appears to be in western panhandle of Florida. The times on the map of transmitted beacons is off by 1 hour,
BUT only on my display, others in the area are not seeing this.  I assume that this is somehow related to my internet service?  I use WOWWAY for internet service. The time clock on my windows laptop ( I have reproduced the issue on 3 laptops) is accurate. I have duplicated the issue with an HT (Yaesu FT-3) and a mobile (yaesu ftm-200)

I have powered off my internet modem for 30+ minutes today and see no difference.

Looking forward to hear from those of you who are smarter than I am!

73s
-Marc
K8MH

Shawn Stoddard

Apr 29, 2024, 3:03:43 AMApr 29
to 'Steffan Jeschek' via aprs.fi
I’m going to guess apes.fi is having difficulties determining your location. I don’t know how this process works, but if it is using your TCP/IP as seen from it’s perspective and your ISP is popping out on the Internet in Florida that would account for both the incorrect location and the time shift (western FL panhandle is CST, MI is EST).

Your laptops are probably using NTP to get their time and aren’t impacted. Your radios aren’t part of this issue.

To test my theory, ask a geoip service (I used https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address) to tell you where that is located.

If you’re ok when logged in I would do that. The issue probably isn’t fixable without changing ISPs and is more of a nuisance.

Heikki Hannikainen

Apr 29, 2024, 3:07:54 AMApr 29
to 'Steffan Jeschek' via aprs.fi

Right, the local time is based on a location, which in turn comes from a
GeoIP lookup. It isn't that precise.

If it's wrong, you can go to aprs.fi -> Preferences -> Units and time ->
Timezone -> Change, and pick & save the correct one.

It's saved in your preferences (cookie ...) so better not clear cookies or
it'll be forgotten. If you're logged in, it's also saved with your user
account.
> To view this discussion on the web visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsfi/168cbbb6-7e5a-47b6-b2e4-d7802db852
> 3f%40app.fastmail.com.

- Hessu