Most Wooded Areas are Missing

Roy Scharf

Jan 23, 2023, 10:08:11 AM1/23/23
to aprs.fi
I noticed that in Western PA, and probably elsewhere, that most wooded areas now seem to be missing.  The exception is a few specific areas, but everything else is gone.  Any reason or cause for this?

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 23, 2023, 10:37:56 AM1/23/23
to aprs.fi
Probably the switch to OSM map data. Either the wooded areas are not
marked as such in OpenStreetMaps, or they are tagged in a way that the
data did not get loaded in the aprs.fi map tile server.

Please compare against https://www.openstreetmap.org/ - if the trees are
not growing there, tap "Log in" or "Sign Up", then "Edit", and
plant them. :)

If they're growing on openstreetmap.org, please provide a link to
https://www.openstreetmap.org/ where they are, with the coordinates in the
link, and I'll see if I can get them imported in the next DB rebuild.

- Hessu

mjglapa

Jan 23, 2023, 11:12:15 AM1/23/23
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, none of the National Forest information is displayed, 80% of the area I live in and travel in is National Forest.

Street map doesn't seem to do any good for rural areas.

I forgot, why the change to OSM?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A13 5G,an AT&T 5G smartphone

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 23, 2023, 11:14:17 AM1/23/23
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, mjglapa wrote:

> I forgot, why the change to OSM?

Details in previous thread.

https://groups.google.com/g/aprsfi/c/hty6exrm58M/m/r1ddsXyFCgAJ
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsfi/63ceae41.050a0220.6f435.97a0%40mx.google.com.

- Hessu

Roy Scharf

Jan 23, 2023, 6:57:30 PM1/23/23
to aprs.fi
I don't know if it has anything to do with that switch.  I've always used the OSM data instead of google maps.  I just like OSM better, and I edit it, so I add a lot of items of interest to it.  I do a lot of editing in Western PA on OSM, so I noticed right away that the OSM data in aprs.fi was leaving a lot of the wooded areas out all of the sudden.

Heikki Hannikainen

Jan 23, 2023, 7:00:36 PM1/23/23
to aprs.fi

Ah okthen, maybe they are tagged in a way that the data did not get loaded
in the aprs.fi map tile server.

Please provide a link to https://www.openstreetmap.org/ where they are,
with the coordinates in the link, and I'll see if I can get them imported
in the next DB rebuild. I need to find an *exact* wooded area that you're
missing, so that I can check the tags of that area and adjust the
filtering accordingly. Not just "western PA". Thanks!
> --

- Hessu

Roy Scharf

Jan 24, 2023, 2:31:12 AM1/24/23
to aprs.fi
Hello Hessu,

As an example we can use this small town.  None of the wooded areas in here are in aprs.fi.

The wooded areas are tagged as normal "natural wood" as they are supposed to be.  The other option is "Managed Forest" which only applies to state forests, game lands, national forests, etc.  Natural Wood is all other wooded areas.  Let me know if this helps.  Natural Wood and Managed Forest would both be needed to show up in aprs.fi.  It provides excellent terrain information when using aprs out in the field.

Thanks,
Roy Scharf, KB3ZTO