query limits

Keith Clementson

Dec 14, 2022, 4:42:01 PM12/14/22
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hessu.

When pulling rain data from aprs.fi, the maximum number of stations I can include per query is 20. Anything over 20 is ignored. I query once per hour.

I’m hoping to get your permission for 4 or 5 more once-per-hour queries of 20 stations each. My goal is to cover more regions of Texas for my volunteer weather reporting site.

If allowed, each of my 5 or 6 hourly queries will be staggered throughout each hour.

Is that okay?

Regards,

Keith Clementson
Administrator
Volunteer Weather Reporting
for the DFW Metroplex

Heikki Hannikainen

Dec 14, 2022, 5:11:54 PM12/14/22
to apr...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 11 Dec 2022, Keith Clementson wrote:

> Hello Hessu.
> When pulling rain data from aprs.fi, the maximum number of stations I can include per query is 20. Anything over 20 is ignored. I query once per hour.
>
> I’m hoping to get your permission for 4 or 5 more once-per-hour queries of 20 stations each. My goal is to cover more regions of Texas for my volunteer
> weather reporting site.

Yes, you can query more than once per hour.

> If allowed, each of my 5 or 6 hourly queries will be staggered throughout each hour.

That's fine, no problem. Especially if it's staggered a bit, and not "5 at
once in parallel, precisely on the hour". There's a lot of scheduling out
there which happens precisely at 12:00:00, 12:10:00, 12:20:00 etc, on
precisely NTP synchronized computers, leading to nasty traffic spikes.

- Hessu