Re: [aprsfi] aprs.fi info

Heikki Hannikainen

Aug 15, 2021, 3:25:47 AM8/15/21
to aprs.fi
On Sat, 7 Aug 2021, JR Riner wrote:

> When I click on info on my i-gate location it shows only:Stations near current position of KE4PMP & Stations heard directly by KE4PMP
> but when I look on other stations info they show these two plus another called Stations heard directly on radio.  Why would mine not
> show this info? Could it e a setting in my microsat aprs device?
> Thanks,
> KE4PMP

Hi,

At least currently the info page for KE4PMP shows them all:

Stations heard directly: 8 on radio path
Stations which heard KE4PMP directly on radio
Stations heard directly by KE4PMP

https://aprs.fi/info/?call=KE4PMP

The second one (Stations which heard KE4PMP directly on radio) may be a
little bit quiet on igates which transmit their position on both RF, and
also transmit the same packet on the APRS-IS, since the APRS-IS network
filters duplicate copies of the same packet, and the copy sent by the
igate to APRS-IS ends up there faster than the copy that gets transmitted
via RF.

Some folks choose to only beacon the position via RF and rely on other
igates to pass it on the APRS-IS, so that it's easy to see in the
statistics if the transmit side is working. One option would be to make
the igate skip sending 50% of its own packets on the APRS-IS.

- Hessu