IOS aprs.fi app: how to make network connection to direwolf TNC.

Don Rolph

Sep 25, 2021, 1:20:13 PM9/25/21
to aprs.fi
I have a direwolf TNC running on a Raspberry PI 3.

I can connect to the KISS TNC service by connecting to the IP address at port 8001.  This works as expected with ARPSIS32 and it works as desired.

I have the aprs.fi app on my iPhone.

I have the iPhone on the same network as the Raspberry PI running direwolf.

It searches for the direwolf kiss TNC on the attached network, but to the best of my knowledge, direwolf does not advertise its service.

How would one get the IOS aprs.fi app to connect to direwolf using the local network to the direwolf kiss port 8001?

Thanks!

Don Rolph

Sep 29, 2021, 5:17:28 PM9/29/21
to aprs.fi
Ok lets change the question.

On the IOS aprs.fi app is it possible to specify the IP address and port for connecting to a KISs TNC on the same network?

Thanks!

Heikki Hannikainen

Sep 29, 2021, 5:41:11 PM9/29/21
to aprs.fi

Hi,

The aprs.fi app does not yet have the user interface to manually punch in
IP addresses or port numbers for TNCs. It's one of those things that
should be behind us already, maybe 10 or 20 years ago preferably, at least
on the LAN, and I'm trying to nudge the amateur world a bit towards that
direction.

Please build direwolf on the Raspberry PI from the "dev" branch and it
will announce itself on the network, you can then just pick it up from the
list. The older versions do not have this functionality.

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/tree/dev

Note that the dependencies have been updated - remember to "sudo apt-get
install libavahi-client-dev" to build with support for DNS-SD. Start from
the "Linux - Using git clone (recommended)" section.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsfi/6c73f1b8-9f34-4628-92d2-eb2b702fa377n%40googlegroups.com.

- Hessu

Don Rolph

Oct 1, 2021, 2:35:25 AM10/1/21
to apr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

--

73,
AB1PH

Don Rolph

Oct 4, 2021, 4:39:30 AM10/4/21
to apr...@googlegroups.com, je...@w4jew.com, john, Steve Smith
I have built direwolf off the dev environment and it looks like:

- the TNC is announced

- aprs.fi app on the iPhone connect s to the tnc as expected

Thanks for the information!

I will test more thoroughly tomorrow.

Sasha Japaridze

Nov 3, 2021, 2:11:17 PM11/3/21
to aprs.fi
Hey team,

I've installed Direwolf 1.7 DEV, started the service with AGW and KISS ports in the config, but the iPhone app still cannot find it on the network.
Would be great to have a manual IP address entry option.

Thank you!

Don Rolph

Nov 3, 2021, 2:23:22 PM11/3/21
to apr...@googlegroups.com
You need to:

- use the dev branch of Dire Wolf which includes the avahi options.  You will need to use apt-get to get the libraries.

- your device must be on the same network as the Dire Wolf system:  the announcement is not routable

Heikki Hannikainen

Nov 3, 2021, 4:03:33 PM11/3/21
to aprs.fi

Hi,

Please make sure that:

1) you are building direwolf on Mac or Linux
2) you have checked out the "dev" branch
3) you have installed libavahi-client-dev before building ("sudo
apt-get install libavahi-client-dev" on Debian/Ubuntu for example)

The updated instructions are here:

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/tree/dev

Start from the "Linux - Using git clone (recommended)" section.

I might make the IP entering UI later, but there are some more
high-priority items in the queue first. I hope there will be a direwolf
release version soon, so that people wouldn't need to build from dev.

- Hessu (the "Team")
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aprsfi/ede2c170-7ef2-4aab-9440-2356954aeefen%40googlegroups.com.

- Hessu