Connect iPhones/iPads to the Kenwood TH-D74/TH-D75 Radios Over Bluetooth

Georges WH6AZ

Jul 26, 2024, 3:31:31 PM (16 hours ago) Jul 26
to aprs.fi

If you own a Kenwood TH-D74/5, you may already know that you can’t pair your iPhone to take advantage of the radio's built-in TNC packet modem.

This is because the radio only supports the Bluetooth Classic Serial Port Profile (SPP), while iOS only supports Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).

A few months back, I released the firmware for B.B. Link, a DIY adapter that bridges these devices. The response was overwhelmingly positive, and many of you built your own adapters. Despite the enthusiasm, the DIY solution has its downsides, as procuring and assembling the right parts can make the project less accessible for some.

To address these shortcomings, I developed a custom hardware adapter designed for those who value ease and convenience, all packaged in a compact design. This new adapter features the ubiquitous USB-C connector so it can be powered by the iPhone 15, newer iPad models, or a standard USB-C portable power bank.

With this adapter, iOS applications like aprsfi can fully utilize the radio's built-in TNC. This makes for a very compact setup to send and receive messages on the go and visualize maps.

Learn more about the adapter: https://getbblink.com

73,

Georges

WH6AZ