Street view loss

Graham G4HFG / W4HFG

Feb 28, 2024, 3:29:49 PMFeb 28
to aprs.fi
We note the loss of 'street view' again recently.
We also note the difficulty in opening a specific plot using an IOS product.

Of course this may be a commercial issue as running this will have a cost implication, but nevertheless, we feel that not being able to view at street level has dulled down the sparkle of what was an excellent product over many years.  Thank you for what we had.

Heikki Hannikainen

Feb 28, 2024, 4:00:00 PMFeb 28
to aprs.fi
On Wed, 28 Feb 2024, Graham G4HFG / W4HFG wrote:

> We note the loss of 'street view' again recently.We also note the difficulty in opening a specific plot using an IOS product.
>
> Of course this may be a commercial issue as running this will have a cost implication, but nevertheless, we feel that not being able to view at street
> level has dulled down the sparkle of what was an excellent product over many years.  Thank you for what we had.

The Google Maps API product is quite expensive. Google has offered a very
generous free use credit for the use of the API on aprs.fi, which has
allowed me to use it so far. The credit accidentally expired in January.
An extension might be granted, but in the mean time, we're with Leaflet +
my own OSM tile server.

To get an idea of the price involved, go to this URL, look for "Dynamic
Maps" -> "Maps JavaScript API" and try to draw the slider to the about
800000-1000000 map loads that aprs.fi has every month, to get a rough
monthly price quote.

https://mapsplatform.google.com/pricing/

If you have any more details to share on the issue with "an IOS product",
it might be helpful for diagnosing the issue.

- Hessu

John Fox

May 21, 2024, 11:53:56 AMMay 21
to aprs.fi
Would this also be why the traffic overlay is not available as well? Thanks. N7NJO