GAFE and Google Privacy Terms

lisa amspacher

Mar 12, 2015, 11:54:49 AM3/12/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have received several questions at my school regarding concerns with the Privacy Terms for GAFE.   Specifically :

Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

The school is concerned about using GAFE for the "business-side" of the house as a result and has put a halt its use for those users.   Does anyone have any insight on this?

George Sorrells

Mar 13, 2015, 9:34:24 AM3/13/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
I guess I could see the concern about the publicly display and distribute content, but the majority of the stuff a school does is available to be seen anyway.  We are after all public entities.  I also couldn't find that paragraph in the GAFE terms of service.  That came from the generic Google TOS.  GAFE is different  http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-in/terms/education_terms.html

We have been using google on the business side of the house since we started with GAFE.  Have not had any issues.

lisa amspacher

Mar 13, 2015, 11:06:02 AM3/13/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,
That is what I thought as well, but there seems to be some differing opinions in my organization.    Thanks!

Lisa

Stephen B

May 1, 2015, 3:52:18 PM5/1/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Lisa, I was reading about this the other day when a parent was complaining about it on the student side. The issues usually lie within sharing documents. Because Google is "in possession" of the document, when you share it, you are basically telling them that it is okay for them to allow somebody else to see/edit the document. In order to make the process simpler and cleaner, Google is just asking for blanket rights up front. Imagine if you had to read a waiver and approve it every time you wanted to share a document or calendar and for each person you wanted to share it with. Same thing with any changes made after that.

This is the case with any online service.

As has been said countless times by many people, if you want all your documents safe, they wouldn't be stored on any networked system.

Bjorn Behrendt

May 1, 2015, 9:34:28 PM5/1/15
to appsus...@googlegroups.com
Here is the trust page for Google Apps For Education.  I usually clears up many misconceptions: https://www.google.com/edu/trust/

The biggest thing is that google does not own any of your data.

Bjorn Behrendt M.Ed ~ Never Stop Learning
   Blog: Edlisten.com