Ideas from the Active Transportation Alliance

Cecilia Donnelly

Jul 18, 2011, 5:18:32 PM7/18/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
Infrastructure Location
We work with municipalities and other jurisdictions to geolocate
different kinds of infrastructure, like bridges, bike racks, signs
etc. We want to create an app for a tablet or a smart phone you would
be able to use to identify where on the map those infrastructure
pieces are located. We use this kind of data in our projects and would
find it extremely useful and the tools we're using now are really
expensive and not very accurate.

There are geolocation applications that can tell you what street
you're on but that's it - no other layers. We'd like to develop a
crowdsourcing app where people will be able to put information about
the roadway into the Google map. The reason we want to do this is that
we want to build a comprehensive map of bike facilities like bike
lanes and racks.

Joshua Herman

Jul 18, 2011, 7:27:54 PM7/18/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
I am doing a app that will allow for this functionality. Basically a
crowdsourcing geotagging app that allows for routing. See
somethingisbroke.appspot.com

Antony Deepak

Jul 19, 2011, 9:32:31 PM7/19/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
I clicked on the 'Somthing is broken' button and it threw me an error.
Is this some sort of 311 application?

Joshua Herman

Jul 19, 2011, 9:37:26 PM7/19/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com

Currently it will insert into the database but there is no view yet.

Cecilia Donnelly

Jul 20, 2011, 2:19:42 PM7/20/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
Will you eventually be able to write in what the broken thing is? I
got the error message too.

On Jul 19, 8:37 pm, Joshua Herman <zitterbeweg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently it will insert into the database but there is no view yet.

Joshua Herman

Jul 20, 2011, 2:20:17 PM7/20/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is in the plan.

Skip Potter

Aug 1, 2011, 2:03:54 PM8/1/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
We have considerable experience in map based applications that geotag data for display in maps that integrate with various map systems like Google, Yahoo, etc.  Please feel free to contact me directly at spo...@pottertech.com to discuss make an app for the iPhone and iPad that will meet your needs.  We can support not only the develop and distribution of the app, but also the needed back-end database to support the multiple users on a high availability basis.

-Skip
--

-Skip
www.PotterTech.com