Ideas from Lincoln Square Chamber

Cecilia Donnelly

Jul 18, 2011, 5:12:50 PM7/18/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
TIF Transparency
Build a better map for TIF districts. Is a particular building in the
district or not? If it is in a TIF, how much money is in that
particular TIF budget this year? Am I eligible for SBIF (Small
Business Improvement Fund) money? A bit of background on the
district’s politics and policy would be useful too, but that would
have to be crowdsourced and come later.

Business License Tracker
More than ninety delegate agencies (chambers of commerce, business
associations, etc.) throughout the city need to know how many
businesses operate in their coverage area. At the moment, it’s
extremely difficult to get that information, even though all of these
companies have to apply for business licenses through the city. An
added bonus for this app would be to track PIN numbers from the county
in Special Service Areas (SSAs). There are 47 of these business
improvement districts throughout the city, and their revenue goes to
sidewalk cleaning, snow removal, and branding of neighborhoods.
However, at the moment those PIN numbers are very hard to access, and
so the agencies in charge of administering the SSAs cannot reach their
constituents.

Vacant Homes and Lots
Can we build an app to crowdsource a map of vacant buildings and
lots? This could start in one neighborhood and grow across the whole
city.

Community
We need an app to make census information available by Chicago
community area instead of by census tract or zipcode. This could
cross check census information with community area boundaries as set
by the city data.

#wishitwashere
What do people leave their neighborhood to buy? What could they be
buying locally? Forum for people to post the items they wish they
could buy locally, but can’t. This could encourage people to buy from
their local businesses by suggesting sources, and be a partnership
with neighboring chambers of commerce too.

Joshua Herman

Jul 18, 2011, 7:28:38 PM7/18/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
Vacant homes and lots could be a part of my app. See
somethingisbroke.appspot.com. I could add types of tags.