Bird Conservation Community Needs Help with Data website

Judy Pollock

Jul 6, 2011, 3:29:30 PM7/6/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
We are a group of volunteer bird monitors who have a data set of over
a million records of birds in the natural habitat areas of the Chicago
region, mostly on public lands. Our data is used by landowners,
researchers and regulators to preserve or improve habitat. We worked
with a group of university seniors to create a really great website so
that people who need our data can select what they want and download
it. However, when it was time to migrate it to our server, the key
feature (downloading the data in an excel format) stopped working.
Last week before graduation. Sigh. So we have this beautiful site
that doesn't' really work the way we want it to. I'm told we need
someone who knows Ruby programming to fix it. We have tried and tried
to find someone to help for over a year, with no luck.

Here's the site, in all its broken glory: http://bcnbirds.org/data-retrieval/
The problems are that the excel sheets don't download, and the graphs
are still a little funky.

Might one of you be able to help?

Judy Pollock

Skip Potter

Aug 1, 2011, 11:46:50 AM8/1/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
Yes I am sure we can help correct the problem.  Is there a way I can get an account so that I can see how the site operates and get a better feel on the way it needs to work?

-Skip
--

-Skip
www.PotterTech.com