Developer

Zitterbewegung

Jul 2, 2011, 12:11:15 AM7/2/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
I'm a python / Java developer. If anyone needs help with developing an
app on the back end I have experience working with that. I work at the
University of illinois at Chicago as a research programmer working
with social networks. If anyone has any cool ideas / datasets that
have to do with social networks I could help.

Joshua Herman

Jul 4, 2011, 5:15:50 PM7/4/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas

Hey I'm developing CROWDSOURCED ROAD REPAIR APP
Suggested by Dan MacAvoy and if he could contact me that would be great

CCMagz

Jul 14, 2011, 1:04:14 AM7/14/11
to Apps for Metro Chicago Ideas
Hey there!

I want to create a Chicago festival guide app. At your convenience,
please let me know what you think and if it's feasible. Thanks!

Hello creative people!

I think a Chicago Festival Guide/Guru app would be extremely
beneficial for all the doers and outdoorsy folks in our great
community! The app would list all of the summer festivals in Chicago
and allow the user to save festival dates and schedules to their
calendars, as well as share the event info with friends. The user
would be able to search the festival guide using a number of different
filters:

Type of festival: Music, Food, Art etc.
Free, "cover", donation, cash only vs. takes credit cards
Food served: Restaurants- sort by cuisine and price
Entertainment: Who's performing, when, where and how do I get there?
Location of festival: Nearest to user's current location, within
walking distance, driving (within 5 miles) etc.
Parking tips: Best places to park for the festival- ideally, a live
feed on road closings/public transportation delays, best routes,
nearest parking garage, closest public parking, rate comparison, best
times to drive down
What to wear- based on weather, the location ("Attention Ladies: do
not wear stilettos to Lollapalooza!")
What to bring
What not to bring ( no food, no alcohol, no pets etc.)
Merchandise/souvenirs
The history of the festival

After the user chooses the festival(s) he or she would like to attend,
the Chicago Festival Guide app would provide all the information the
user would need to be as prepared as possible for the event.

Festival planner: Create your schedule by entertainment preferences:
By creating your own schedule you can easily map out your route so
that you can see all of the bands/entertainment you want to see
without wasting time by getting lost or waiting in long lines. This of
course would be most beneficial for a music festival with multiple
stages.

If I want to see The Shakes at the Taste, but I'm not sure when or
where exactly they are playing, the Festival Planner feature would
give me the answers I need with a quick search. If The Shakes are
playing tonight at 7PM at X location, I would add this event to my
schedule, and the app would store this information and send me a
reminder text 15-30 minutes before the band goes on stage.

Festival Layout/Map: If I don't know where X location is, then I could
view the festival layout/map. If the user is directionally challenged
like yours truly, GPS would be key! The layout/map feature would map
important landmarks, hot spots, restrooms, restaurants/food tents,
stages, rest hut, shaded areas and designated meeting locations and
with GPS, getting there would be a cinch.
"Meet me here" or "Find me now" Feature- GPS: This would come in
handy if the user is trying to meet up with a friend who is lost in a
crowd, a very frequent occurrence. It would display the user's current
location and the lost friend's location on both parties' phones and
generate the most logical meeting spot using conspicuous, nearby
landmarks. When the user activates this feature, an indicator light
would change colors based on the distance between the two traveling
parties. For instance, Green light= begin traveling toward the other
party, Yellow light= getting warmer, RED & Blinking= wrong way, Blue=
Right in front of your face.

Aftershows: Based on the festival events you've added to your
schedule, the user would be given the option to receive information
(push notifications) about aftershows: tickets, venues, times,
locations etc. The Lollapalooza app has this feature, and sends push
notifications about secret shows or guest appearances- LOVE it!

I would love to team up with any developer who is interested and I
appreciate any feedback on this as well. I am really excited for this
opportunity to create something that will make having a good time that
much easier :)

Brock Angelo

Jul 16, 2011, 1:20:46 AM7/16/11
to appsformetro...@googlegroups.com
That one caught my eye as well. Have you chosen a platform for the app? And are you working with anyone?