Stratus 3 ADS-B Receiver

Tim Avery

Jul 17, 2018, 2:04:05 PM7/17/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Just got an email from Sporty's about the new Stratus 3.  Has anybody tried it with Avare.

Tim

John W SBA

Jul 17, 2018, 6:31:53 PM7/17/18
to Tim Avery, Apps4Av Forum
> Stratus 3. Has anybody tried it with Avare.

I have not, but there have been multiple reports of failed attempts with
all apps except Foreflight. Apparently the two companies have a mutual
exclusive agreement. Word is that reverse engineering work by others
has been thwarted by changes in FF & Stratus, so that the few temporary
fixes devised no longer work.

I bought the SDR/HIZ "$10" ADSB In solution described on the Apps4Av
website and it still works great. More recently I bought a StratUX open
source box from FlightBox, and it also works well. Each of these
solutions has benefits and drawbacks, but both do work. I believe the
HIZ developer Mike Hammer may also soon be coming out with another
option for ADSB In with Avare.

Bottom line, I suggest you avoid both Stratux and Foreflight unless you
prefer their proprietary approach and wish to buy an iDevice and pay all
the associated costs and subscription fees.

John W SBA

Jul 17, 2018, 6:34:56 PM7/17/18
to Tim Avery, Apps4Av Forum
Correction.

I wrote:
> Bottom line, I suggest you avoid both Stratux

As you may have already realized, I *meant* to write:
Bottom line, I suggest you avoid both StratuS

StratuX is of course the inexpensive and subscription-free receiver that
works with Avare. StratuS is the incompatible and proprietary receiver
you asked about.

Tim Avery

Jul 17, 2018, 9:32:43 PM7/17/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Thanks.  I do not want an I pad or fore flight.  Avare rocks

Brett Friermood

Jul 18, 2018, 10:40:57 AM7/18/18
to Apps4Av Forum
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 5:31:53 PM UTC-5, John Wiley wrote:
I have not, but there have been multiple reports of failed attempts with
all apps except Foreflight.  Apparently the two companies have a mutual
exclusive agreement.  Word is that reverse engineering work by others
has been thwarted by changes in FF & Stratus, so that the few temporary
fixes devised no longer work.

To my knowledge that is the case with the original Stratus and Stratus 2.

I have not dug into it at all since I prefer my homebuilt Stratux, but I have seen comments that the Stratus 3 is supposed to be non-proprietary and work with software other than Foreflight exclusively. There was speculation they were moving this way due to the effect of the open-source Stratux on their sales.

I have not seen a confirming report of this, though.

John W SBA

Jul 18, 2018, 3:16:06 PM7/18/18
to Brett Friermood, Apps4Av Forum
> Stratus 3 is supposed to be non-proprietary

Thanks for mentioning this, Brett. Looks like that's the case:

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/07/18/sportys-launches-stratus-3/
"... Stratus 3 also supports a variety of other aviation apps, both on
iOS and Android, using the industry standard GDL 90 protocol. This
allows other apps to display weather, traffic, GPS position, and
attitude from Stratus 3.

With the introductory price of $699, Stratus 3 comes with a dash mount,
charging cable, wall outlet charging plug, and Stratus Pilot Guide. ..."

http://sportys.com/pilotshop/stratus-3-ads-b-receiver.html
"Compatible Apps ForeFlight, Fltplan Go, FlyQ, WingX, iFly GPS"
"Open ADS-B - works with other electronic flight bag apps using GDL 90
protocol"
"Receives new ADS-B products - view echo tops, lightning, icing
forecast, turbulence forecast, Center Weather Advisories, and G-AIRMETs
(coming soon)"

I believe StratuX uses GDL 90, so Avare might already support the same
services it does on that receiver. If additional services like AHRS and
the new stuff (lightning, etc.) is reliable, my guess is the Apps4Av
"Core Dev Team" may well implement them in Avare.

Yippee!! :D

Now, will the StratuX dev people come up with an upgrade path?

John W SBA

Jul 18, 2018, 3:45:27 PM7/18/18
to Brett Friermood, Apps4Av Forum
Skimmed more of the Sporty's page about it, and found some caveats under
the "Supports more apps" heading:

"... (some features only available with ForeFlight). To turn on GDL 90
support, download the free Stratus Horizon Pro app."

So you have to install their app (which presumably is loaded with
"spyware" Permissions unlike Avare). Even then, some unspecified
features won't work. Maybe just the 3D stuff, but maybe there are
reasons they don't specify and we'd be missing cloud tops, lightning or
others? Kinda reinforces my preference for Avare/StratuX/HIZ, but maybe
this chink in the StratuS armor will lead to improvements for freedom
loving Avare/StratuX/HIZ pilots?

Hope springs eternal. :)

Zubair Khan

Jul 18, 2018, 4:16:12 PM7/18/18
to John W SBA, Brett Friermood, Apps4Av Forum
We are open, and love to work with anyone, but we don't have resources to go through integration with any vendor, especially if they don't fall into out open everything policy. If Stratus is opening up, good for them, but we do not care as there are much better and cheaper alternatives available.

​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

Sep 20, 2018, 3:52:27 PM9/20/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Anyone have an update on compatibility between Avare and Stratus 3 (w/ Open ADS-B/GDL 90 protocol)?

Barrett

Nov 19, 2018, 11:38:25 AM11/19/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Bump.
Appareo is pushing the Stratus 3's "Open ADS-B Mode" with GLD-90 protocol. Is Avare able to work with this? Avare is not on Appareo's list of EFBs supporting GDL-90.

APP DEVELOPERS SUPPORTING STRATUS 3 USING THE GDL-90 PROTOCOL:

WingX – Version 9
FltPlan Go – Version 4.7.10 for iOS, 4.9.2 for Android, 2.6.10 for Windows
FlyQ – Version 3.2
iFly GPS – Version 10.3
Airmate – Version 1.26
AvPlan EFB
– Version 7.7.3
Aerovie
– Version 5.03
Xavion
– Version 1.88
Stratus Horizon Pro
– Version 2.0.3
SkyDemon – Version 3.1
OzRunways

Brett Friermood

Nov 20, 2018, 5:27:32 PM11/20/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Yes, Avare will be able to use a standard GDL 90 protocol stream.

Jeff H

Jan 6, 2019, 4:11:44 PM1/6/19
to Apps4Av Forum
To clarify: Appareo Status 3 with the open architecture GDL-90 protocol---does Avare currently work with the Status 3 and the ability to use all the Stratus 3 features?

Zubair Khan

Jan 6, 2019, 6:58:47 PM1/6/19
to jhurs...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Avare supports any device with GDL90.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

To clarify: Appareo Status 3 with the open architecture GDL-90 protocol---does Avare currently work with the Status 3 and the ability to use all the Stratus 3 features?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/apps4av-forum/c5dfea46-0dcc-47fc-8757-87a07ed0de0e%40googlegroups.com.

JAY LEVINE

Jan 14, 2019, 5:50:29 PM1/14/19
to Zubair Khan, apps4a...@googlegroups.com, jhurs...@gmail.com
Does anyone know how to connect aware to free flight ads b ?

On Jan 6, 2019 3:58 PM, "'Zubair Khan' via Apps4Av Forum" <apps4a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Avare supports any device with GDL90.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

To clarify: Appareo Status 3 with the open architecture GDL-90 protocol---does Avare currently work with the Status 3 and the ability to use all the Stratus 3 features?

Jeffrey Ross

Jan 14, 2019, 8:48:33 PM1/14/19
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
What problem(s) are you specifically having?  I believe the Freeflight unit transmits on port 4000 like most units.

Jeff
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to apps4av-foru...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/apps4av-forum.

fly...@yahoo.com

Jan 15, 2019, 12:04:11 PM1/15/19
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi Jay.
Look at these two posts and see if they help? If not post here with the exact steps you use and we will try to help. TV

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 2:50:29 PM UTC-8, JAY LEVINE wrote:
Does anyone know how to connect aware to free flight ads b ?

JAY LEVINE

Jeffrey Ross

Jan 15, 2019, 5:54:24 PM1/15/19
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I did a quick scan of the manual for your unit and I didn't see anything unusual.

Barring a better description of your problem I'd suggest the following

1) Make sure you are connecting to the correct SSID
2) make sure you haven't connected the the Rangr unit with another application on your tablet first, if you have make sure that program is completely closed.
3) from within Avare, go to Menu -> Preferences -> GPS and choose External WiFi Port, enter 4000, then "ok", I would then suggest backing all the way out of Avare (back arrow and say "yes" exit)
4) go into Avare, from the tabs along the bottom go all the way to the right and choose "I/O", in the lower left corner you will see a check box "Connect to WiFi" check this box, if it is working you should start seeing data as soon as your unit starts sending data.

Jeff
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to apps4av-foru...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/apps4av-forum.

fly...@yahoo.com

Jan 15, 2019, 5:55:56 PM1/15/19
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi Jay.
I've tried to find some information about the RANGR 978 but there is No information / manual that I can find. It does show tha it may work with Android, see below, but without the Port Nr. you will not be able to connect. What port are you using in the FF?You need to confirm that your Device can find your 9768 in the WiFi settings before you do anything else.
Post here all the procedure steps / sequence of events that you are taking / use to connect. TV

On Jan 15, 2019 9:04 AM, "flytv1 via Apps4Av Forum" <apps4av-forum@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Jay.
Look at these two posts and see if they help? If not post here with the exact steps you use and we will try to help. TV

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 2:50:29 PM UTC-8, JAY LEVINE wrote:
Does anyone know how to connect aware to free flight ads b ?

ejess...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 12:56:27 AM2/27/19
to Apps4Av Forum
Back to the original question, has anyone actually used the Stratus 3 with Avare?

JAY LEVINE

Feb 28, 2019, 5:18:03 PM2/28/19
to ejess...@gmail.com, Apps4Av Forum
 Still trying to get avare to work with free flight

Jeff H

May 17, 2019, 5:44:11 PM5/17/19
to Apps4Av Forum
I just installed the Appareo ES/ESG with a Stratus 3i .
Zubar says it is compatible with Avare since it is GL90 protocol.  I'm not a Foreflight fan.

Here is my question:  In reading the manuals it sounds like you have to download Horizon Stratus Pro app in order to download the settings menu where you can change to open, (GL90), then you have to download and run Avare's External I/O Plug in, then run Avare.  So you connnect to the wifi network from Stratus, run their Stratus pro program, run Avare's plug in and then run the Avare program.  So at least 3 apps running in order to get traffic!!   Is this what has to be done??  (I haven't set mine up yet--trying to figure out what you have to do)
Thanks all!

Barrett Thompson

May 17, 2019, 5:53:27 PM5/17/19
to Jeff H, Apps4Av Forum
I believe you will only have to run the stratus app to initially set up the 3i to use the gdl - 90 protocol. After that, you wouldn't necessarily need to run it again unless you were changing the settings on the 3i. You would then connect to the stratus Wi-Fi network, and you wouldn't need the avare plugin app since the ads-b in/out is now incorporated into the main avare app.

kona...@bbkona.com

May 17, 2019, 6:01:03 PM5/17/19
to Apps4Av Forum
I have the Stratus 3 installed in my aircraft but use Stratux box instead.  The problem I have is that the other 2 pilots use Foreflight and I use Avare.  It seems the stratus 3 can only be in one mode or the other and I would need a IOS device to change it to the 'Open" mode.  I asked Appereo about this and that is what I got.  If it is set to 'open' it will stay there and you should be able to connect to the Stratus wifi and use it with Avare.

kona...@bbkona.com

May 17, 2019, 6:15:18 PM5/17/19
to Apps4Av Forum
It would be nice of Appereo or some 3rd party to create a small android program to change/set the OPEN mode like the IOS program "Stratus Horizon Pro" app does.  I think that is the only function needed and other functions could stay IOS.