Multiple landings on one flight plan?

Mike Nelson

Mar 20, 2022, 1:02:58 PM3/20/22
to Apps4Av Forum
  I'm looking for a way to make a single flight plan with multiple airport landings.  Like your cross-country qualification flight.  So far I've been making multiple flight plans, and loading the next one after landing.
  If I start and stop at my home airport, I haven't found a way to plan to Land at the other airports, they're just waypoints on the flight path.
  I suspect the ability is there, I probably just missed it.

Suggestions/instructions gladly accepted,

Brett Friermood

Mar 21, 2022, 10:46:14 AM3/21/22
to Apps4Av Forum
What issue are you running into with having the intermediate airports as waypoints in your plan?

Jeffrey Ross

Mar 21, 2022, 11:23:51 AM3/21/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I've never filed a flight plan with multiple stops, so out of curiosity, are you doing this for an IFR for VFR flight plan?  Everything I've read says ATC strongly discourages (often rejects them outright) IFR flight plans with multiple stops.  VFR I would simply think you'd put the intermediate airports in the route section, you'll probably have to use the 4 letter identifier, not sure about airports with numbers which would only be 3 letters.  I also know there is some unique coding you can put in the route section to denote how long of a stop time you will have, not sure if this is valid for VFR flight.

In reality I don't think there is much if anything to be saved by filing a VFR flight plan with multiple stops, in reality probably more to lose by doing so.   The fact that you can open and close your flight plan from a cell phone using a text message, call flight service on the phone to close it, and also open it once you are airborne over the radio.

Also keep in mind a VFR flight plan is used for search and rescue, the smaller area you can give them to do their search would shorten the time to find you should the unthinkable happen, one 100 mile segment vs a 300 mile segment.

Timothy Adam

Mar 21, 2022, 4:11:40 PM3/21/22
to Apps4Av Forum
As rossas... indicated above, considering the main reason why you're filing a flight plan in the first place I believe you're much better off filing a separate flight plan for each leg i.e. a separate flight plan ending at each airport you will land at.  I believe that's what you're doing already, which is fine.

As to his comment:
     "not sure about airports with numbers which would only be 3 letters":
I have found that for airports in the USA, simply inserting the ICAO region code letter K in front of the 3-letter airport code, including for those that contain numbers, typically works reliably on a variety of systems for creating and filing flight plans.  ICAO has assigned the complete region range "KAAA" to "KZZZ" for airports in the USA.

Here's a handy reference guide for ICAO region and nation codes.

I hope that's helpful.

Andy

Mar 22, 2022, 2:16:15 PM3/22/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Filing or just planning?

I just created one from my base airport to two others then back to home base and it works fine. As I recall if you pass over the next airport it will switch to whatever's next.

If you're filing a flight plan I'm no help, I don't do that kind of flying in NH/VT.

-Andy

Mike Nelson

Mar 22, 2022, 11:28:16 PM3/22/22
to Apps4Av Forum
  I'm just using this for Planning, I'm not filing for my VFR flights.  My plan Takes me to each airport as a Waypoint, not a Stop, so I don't Descend for a landing except the last (I don't get the airport data except start and end, frequencies etc.).  = When I add airports to the plan they go in as Waypoints (overfly), I stay at altitude per the Nav log, I want to add them as Stops.

Tal Reichert

Mar 23, 2022, 9:37:45 AM3/23/22
to Apps4Av Forum
As to airports with three-digit designation, such as 1B2: In ICAO flight plans you need to put "ZZZZ" under the airport, then in Item 18, put either "DEP/" or "DEST/" (for origin or destination), followed by one of:
* Airport name, e.g. "DEP/KATAMA"
* Lat/Long in degrees and minutes, followed by the name of the airport, such as "DEP/4122N07031W KATAMA"
* Radial/distance from a fix, followed by the name of the airport, such as "DEP/MVY135005 KATAMA"

Tal