Anotherr SD Card Question...

John Moorman

Mar 6, 2014, 11:08:32 AM3/6/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
All,

Yesterday I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 10.1 for use in the cockpit with Avare.

In the Avare settings, I directed the software to save the charts, plates, etc. in a folder on a external/add on SD Card named "avarecharts".

When I attempt to download the carts to this folder I get a permissions error.

I have attempted to select the path to the folder several times and I continue to get the same error.

One thing I have noticed, when attempting to navigate using the Avare explorer, the icons next to the first folder in the path to my "avarecharts" folder has a red icon with a lock on it. In fact, all but a few of the folders in the explorer have the same icon. I cannot navigate to my custom folder on the SD Card without going through a folder with this icon.

I am running Android 4.4 "Kit Kat".

Any ideas?

Thanks...

John

Zubair Khan

Mar 6, 2014, 11:20:26 AM3/6/14
to John Moorman, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
They (Google) have disabled app's access to SD card in 4.4. other than for apps like Camera. We are looking for ways.

Zubair Khan
apps4av.com
zk4u.blogspot.com
Sudbury, MA 01776
Message has been deleted

John Moorman

Mar 6, 2014, 11:49:07 AM3/6/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Well isn't that a load of crap...

That would render most of the reasons I purchased this tablet moot.

Oh well, I will use what storage space I have on the tablet (about 13 gig after the system files) for Avare and the other apps I use in the cockpit and leave all of the fun/cool apps off of this thing for now.

Please post if you get this resolved or need someone to test anything on this particular tablet/android OS.

Thank you for the quick response.

John

Zubair Khan

Mar 6, 2014, 12:54:59 PM3/6/14
to John Moorman, apps4a...@googlegroups.com

John Moorman

Mar 6, 2014, 1:14:32 PM3/6/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Zubair

I have read the article... Does this mean there is a work-around that the Avare Team can employ? I am referencing this part of the article:

I mentioned earlier that 3rd-party apps couldn’t modify the SD card, but that’s not entirely accurate. As of KitKat, Google has a new documented behavior that directly relates to this:

[For all external storage]

“Starting in Android 4.4, the owner, group and modes of files on external storage devices are now synthesized based on directory structure. This enables apps to manage their package-specific directories on external storage without requiring they hold the broad WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. For example, the app with package name com.example.foo can now freely access Android/data/com.example.foo/ on external storage devices with no permissions. These synthesized permissions are accomplished by wrapping raw storage devices in a FUSE daemon.”

[For secondary storage, if it exists]

The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions. Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled.

- http://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/

This basically says apps may now have a folder on an SD card designated for their private use, where they can do anything and absolutely no permissions are required. It’s just like the private folders that already exist on primary storage, but with negligible security, since the SD card can be removed and freely accessed by a computer. The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission still grants unrestricted access to public folders on primary storage, but writing anything to secondary storage - outside of the designated folder - is totally off limits to all 3rd-party apps.

Zubair Khan

Mar 6, 2014, 1:16:07 PM3/6/14
to John Moorman, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
John
Yes, you can write to SD card, but only in one folder allocated to you by the OS.

You have to find it somewhere on the SD card named like com.ds.avare.

Also, if you uninstall the app, that folder will get deleted unlike before.

Zubair Khan

May 8, 2014, 9:36:13 AM5/8/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I found the "/storage/extSdCard/Android/
data" folder on the external SD card using the "My Files" app, but it did not have the "com.ds.avare/" folder you described within it. (I did see other folders that the os must have created for the proprietary apps in the Galaxy s4's internal memory.)

The os allowed me to create a folder which I named "com.ds.avare" (but the keyboard would not let me put the forward slash "/" at the end of the path as your email showed. It appeared the os, or the My Files app keyboard disabled and greyed out certain punctuation marks including the "/", so it wouldn't let me type one anyway.)  I then opened the Avare app and navigated to and selected the new folder as the new storage location. The os then allowed Avare to successfully download/extract the .zip database files as well as sectionals, etc.... into thenew folder. I was also able to easily move previously downloaded sectionals and charts from the old storage folder to the new one without having to re-download them from the Avare server. I did download a sectional to the extSdCard as a test from the server and it took around 4 minutes to complete using wifi. That seems like a lot longer than before for a sectional. I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the guidance to the Android 4.4.2 os "magic folder" so can continue to enjoy using your great app!

Chuck Ray

John Moorman

May 30, 2014, 9:55:48 AM5/30/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Zubair/Ray,

I have used the steps listed above for both my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my Galaxy Tab PRO 10 tablet (creating the "com.ds.avare" folder). I tried creating the folder using the "My Files" app, ES Explorer and using windows explorer while the phone is connected.

In each instance, I was successful in creating the folder and navigating to the folder in the Avare app.

However, in each case Avare/Android OS indicated that it could not download the file to the selected folder.

On the S4, the error was:

Download Failed, reason code unable to store the zip file libcore.io.ErrnoException: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied).

I do not have my tablet with me at work today to give you the exact error message from the tablet, but I believe it is very similar.

Still hoping we can find a workaround...

Regards,

John
Message has been deleted

fly...@yahoo.com

May 30, 2014, 4:03:54 PM5/30/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi John and everyone.
A shot in the dark, try to power off / on your device after you create your external Directory, I found that on an N7 I tested
that it would not give access to the files until I did that. TV

John Moorman

May 30, 2014, 5:34:48 PM5/30/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Fly,

A shutdown and restart of the device did not resolve the issue on the Samsung S4 running Kit Kat 4.4.2. I am still unable to write the the com.ds.avare folder on the SD card.

I have not tried the tablet yet. However, I do not have any expectations that it will work considering it is a Samsung tablet running the same OS.

I will report back later this evening after attempting the various work-arounds.

Thanks for the lead though...

John

John Spitzer

May 31, 2014, 8:23:50 PM5/31/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I am watching this conversation with great interest as I have the same dilema as John Moorman does with the same tablet.

Michael Crowder

Jun 24, 2014, 8:23:20 PM6/24/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

I'm having the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Kitkat 4.4.2.

--
Michael

Zubair Khan

Jun 24, 2014, 8:32:30 PM6/24/14
to Michael Crowder, apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Mike
You will need to find the root of the SD card folder yourself, then from Preference in Avare, browse to it then press the button with label ... Use the default external folder.

fly...@yahoo.com

Jun 24, 2014, 10:51:21 PM6/24/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike.

If you cannot see your files at first, turn your device Off / On and then look for them.

You may also have to Re Download the Databases to the new location, but it does work. TV.

Michael Crowder

Jun 27, 2014, 3:32:37 PM6/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Ok,  The key was that I had to use the file path structure listed for "default external path".  I was trying to create a directory called "/storage/extSdCard/AvareData" and put the files there.  Once I changed to "/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.ds.avare/" everything started working.

==
Michael

Message has been deleted

fly...@yahoo.com

Jun 27, 2014, 6:19:05 PM6/27/14
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael and everyone.

Avare using External Card as Chart / data  storage.

I get many questions on how to Store Data / Charts using the external SD Card in devices that allow that. I decided to write a procedure that should work for everyone. Post here if you find an Error, or it does not work for you.

Recently a change in the Android  OS, that favors non external devices,  has created confusion on how to create and access that external location / folder that affects on how to access / use that folder using Avare and many other apps available.

Some devices allow you to add an External SD Card, that you can plug into your device, like Samsung Tablets, others do not like the Nexus.

Avare External Data / Chart Storage is forced to default to different Folders / Locations depending on what Android OS version you may have.

Avare Does point out how to proceed, see below information, but it can go by without being noticed, see "Details" below.

A procedure that I found to work for me in different versions ( tested in  4.1.0, 4.1.2 and 4.4.2) follows:

Use My Files" or "ES File Explorer" to create the Directory / Folder.

1-Create a folder in the Root of your External SD Card (external for the devices that allow it like Samsung) named Android/Data/com.ds.avare.

End result should look something look this:

/storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.ds.avare (Ver 4.4.2) or

/storage/extSDCard/Android/data/com.ds.avare  (Ver 4.1.0)

            Note: Samsung names their internal SD card as SDCard0, just to confuse the situation.

2-In Avare Options>Preferences> Chart Storage Folder> Navigate with the Up arrow to that folder you created and Select (OK) it.

Verify your work and be prepared to re download Databases and maybe the Charts. I was able to move and use the charts after the location change.

Details.

Avare External Defaults in Android 4.4.2 K3.4.0+, SW Ver. 4151oc to:

"Use the default folder" defaults to:

/data/data/com.ds.avare/files

"Use the default external folder", defaults to:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.ds.avare

Message that Avare displays for a few seconds during the selection of the External installation:

"If this is not the default SD Card folder then create a folder in the Root of SD Card named Android/Data/com.ds.avare, and select it from here."

Chart Storage Folder.

 /storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.ds.avare (Ver 4.4.2) or

/storage/extSDCard/Android/data/com.ds.avare  (Ver 4.1.0)

Ingo N.

Feb 3, 2015, 6:45:28 PM2/3/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
So, somehow I have problems getting this to work.
I followed your steps here and Avare still tells me I have to download the charts for this area.
I deleted ALL the data and redownloaded it, to be safe.
Avare saved all the data on the external SD card (verified with ES File Explorer)
My setup is:
Avare 5.9.9
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Android 4.4.2)

Any ideas why that happens?

Thanks
Ingo

fly...@yahoo.com

Feb 3, 2015, 9:44:14 PM2/3/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ingo.
Avare will ask you to Re Download unless you have a good GPS signal with a chart in the active area / GPS loaction, or you can go in Simulation, no GPS needed and Find ( or Plan and Activate) a location within the active chart area.. Post here if it does not work for you. TV

Ingo N.

Feb 3, 2015, 9:50:44 PM2/3/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
OMG!! You are right. Actually just switching back and forth once to simulation did the trick!
I going crazy and it didn't make any sense to me that it wouldn't work ... :-D

Thank you!!
Ingo

Zubair Khan

Feb 3, 2015, 9:54:18 PM2/3/15
to Apps4Av Forum
By the way, you cannot just create any folder in external SD card in Android and let Avare use it. Its an Android limitation. It has to  be named com.ds.avare. There was a recent guide on this on the forum.

Hawkins Thomas

Mar 8, 2015, 10:32:14 PM3/8/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I have a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and I followed the direactions above and wasn't able to get it to work. I was able to locate the folder in the root of the SD card and when I go to download the charts to this folder from avare I get permission error. It says "download failed, reason code unable to store the zip file lIbcore.io.errnoexception: open failed EACCES (permissions denied)"

Any suggestions?

Zubair Khan

Mar 8, 2015, 11:08:04 PM3/8/15
to Hawkins Thomas, Apps4Av Forum

The solution has been discussed on the forum many times and could be searched. Can't do anything about it automatically from the app, as its your phone manufacturer and google who have made it hard and require specific manual actions.

On Mar 8, 2015 10:32 PM, "Hawkins Thomas" <thom...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and I followed the direactions above and wasn't able to get it to work. I was able to locate the folder in the root of the SD card and when I go to download the charts to this folder from avare  I get permission error. It says "download failed, reason code unable to store the zip file lIbcore.io.errnoexception: open failed EACCES  (permissions denied)"

Any suggestions?

fly...@yahoo.com

Mar 8, 2015, 11:13:10 PM3/8/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Thomas.
Can you post a pic of the File structure / directory and and of your Preferences.
They should look something like this, the names may be slightly different depending on your OS Ver.TV
AvPrefTree.jpg
ExtFileTree.jpg

Hawkins Thomas

Mar 9, 2015, 12:01:10 AM3/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I did some searching and i never found an answer. Just the same instructions on how to make a folder to put them in.

John here are my screen shots.
Screenshot_2015-03-08-21-23-08.png
Screenshot_2015-03-08-22-55-51.png
Screenshot_2015-03-08-22-56-59.png

fly...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2015, 1:20:54 AM3/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Thomas.
You Do Not have the file structure properly set up.
Look at my screen shots and you see that Android, Data and com.ds.avare are separate subdirectories / files under /storage/extsdcard... . You have to create them in that sequence as separate files not as one single directory  / file, like you have it. TV

Zubair Khan

Mar 9, 2015, 8:32:09 AM3/9/15
to Hawkins Thomas, Apps4Av Forum

Hawkins Thomas

Mar 9, 2015, 7:39:25 PM3/9/15
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Everyone. ..that worked. Thanks so much for the help and the great app. I was flying with a friend who was using forflight and we went to shoot an ILS and I pulled up the go referenced plate, he was impressed. Keep up the good work!