Chart data on SD Card

John Spitzer

Jul 13, 2017, 10:43:17 PM7/13/17
to Apps4Av Forum
I have created the SD card Directory and specified the application use that directory to store the charts.

However, I did this some time after using the device storage to collect the data.

So the question is what happens to all the data in the device storage?  Is it still there using lots of memory?  How do I get it off the device storage without destroying some of the necessary files to run the ap?

Also the tablet I did this on is running Android V4.4.2  --- When I tried to incorporate the SD directory using the same instruction on my Phone with Android  V7.0  I could not get the application to write to that directory.  Any ideas??

Thanks

John

fly...@yahoo.com

Jul 13, 2017, 11:02:44 PM7/13/17
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi John.
I don't fully understand the question but I will try to give you some help.
Avare will uninstall all the data / charts that it installed if you uninstall it, no unnecessary space will be used. Avare  is very easy to re install if you think you want to clean some of your old data / storage. I only keep some of the states that I plan to visit in Charts and Plates. We are at the point, with ver. 770, where there are some major changes in the Plates area and you need to evaluate if you want to stay with 768 or move to 770, 771? You can get some of the older versions here:
http://mamba.dreamhosters.com/share/

Android 7.0 I do not have and I think there was one user that posted earlier, I hope someone will respond, but I think they were able to use the SDCard, but I am not sure. TV

Chip Davis

Jul 14, 2017, 3:14:06 AM7/14/17
to Avare
[grrr... Sorry TV, I despise listservers that default to anything
other than 'Reply to List'!]

I'm not sure I'll be any more help than TV, since I don't have the
same hardware as John either.

But I think he's saying that the data files that were in the default
directory are still there after he downloaded everything to the SD
card and can he delete the old ones. I think the answer is "yes",he
can erase all the files in the default directory and Avare won't care
because it's pointing to the data on the SD card. It shouldn't be
necessary to uninstall Avare to clean up the old files.

I've used the SD card on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 for several chart
cycles and the only thing that I have in my default directory
(/sdcard/com.ds.avare) is the 'Tracks' folder with a couple of .KML
files. I can't find a way to tell Avare to store them into a
different directory. Is this possible? Are there any other Avare
files (for features that I have yet to explore) that use the default
'com.ds.avare' directory?

Ok, I tried to answer one question and ended up asking two more... :-/

John, I've never seen any executable files in 'com.ds.avare' so I
don't think there's any problem with deleting the files in the default
one.

-Chip-

fly...@yahoo.com

Jul 14, 2017, 12:26:16 PM7/14/17
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi John and Chip.
If that is the question, John can delete the unnecessary files in Avare under Download also, mark for deletion tap on the item to show trash can, and click the Delete.
Chip is correct you can manually go into the Avare Folder, where the Charts, not where the Tracks, are and delete all the files, there are no executable files in there, but it would have to re download them including the Data bases.TV

Ferdi B.

Jul 26, 2017, 2:52:52 PM7/26/17
to Apps4Av Forum
HI John,

My reply might be redundant, however... I did just that, and thus gained some experience on the subject.

Yes, when you switch Storage to SD card instead of the default (/data/data/com.ds.avare), the previous (i.e. old) downloads, including the database, will be  preserved in the default location, while the new downloads (including the database) will be stored on the SD card. In order to clean the 800+ MB of database and charts, I did the following:

0. Created the "com.ds.avare" directory under your /externalSD/Android/data/
1. Selected again the default location under Storage
2. Switched to Home display of my tablet
3. Went to Settings -> Applications -> Downloaded -> Avare (my system is 5.0.2 on a Samsung Tab S, your setup might be different)
4. Hit "CLEAR DATA"
5. Went back to Avare; had to input my registration to servers again, no problem
6. Selected the SD card location created initially
7. Downloaded the database and everything else I need.

If your device is rooted, you can manually delete those files by going to /data/data/com.ds.avare.

I hope this helps.

Ferdi.