What is this reddish/orange circle?

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 12:53:33 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I don't find it I the FAA guide to sectionals, there is no stadium nearby, and it's not on the paper sectional.Screenshot_20210823-102415~2.png

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 23, 2021, 12:55:21 PM8/23/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
the circle is marking out a power plant which you are supposed to not loiter around, notice the "Plant" and the black dot.

Jeff

On 8/23/21 12:53 PM, oakchas wrote:
I don't find it I the FAA guide to sectionals, there is no stadium nearby, and it's not on the paper sectional.Screenshot_20210823-102415~2.png --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Apps4Av Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/apps4av-forum/eccbc36c-9f42-44f5-bffc-48afb58e8029n%40googlegroups.com.

Simon Roberts

Aug 23, 2021, 1:18:12 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Looks like the TFR display to me, no??

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 2:09:55 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I don't think so... It doesn't come up as TFR in the Avare App.

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 2:13:13 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Jeff, Thanks... but it doesn't come up as a tfr when you long press in the center of it...

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 23, 2021, 2:23:53 PM8/23/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
to the best of my knowledge, the FAA does not necessarily publish a specific TFR for a power plant but they are all covered under NOTAM FDC 6/8818 (not sure if it has been updated with a newer number).  Avare is simply alerting you to the fact that there is a power station there, I'm guessing it is hydro-electric based on its proximity to the water.

The NOTAM for your reference which you should be aware of is:

!FDC 6/8818 FDC ...SPECIAL NOTICE...IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL
SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS
ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN CLOSE
PROXIMITY TO CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE
LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR
COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY
FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES UNLESS
OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED. PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE
AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES.
1603231538-PERM

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 3:19:05 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Jeffrey... I went to Google earth and looked at the "PLANT." Doubt that it's a power plant... In fact I know it to be the Bush Beans plant. It is not even really near the TVA Hydro-electric Dam nearby. The Circle Does NOT show up on my tablet... but does on my phone... Now I'm really baffled.

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 23, 2021, 4:21:43 PM8/23/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
go to preferences -> Display, the second to last item is "Show Stadiums"  uncheck that if you don't want to see the circles.

I've been looking through the TFR data download and do not see anything listed for that LAT/LONG (or anything close to it.  I'll see if I can identify where the circle is being drawn from.  Previously the Stadium data was held as a static file but looking at the scripts that generate the download files the file that contains (contained?) the LAT/LONG for the stadiums does not appear to be called any longer.

Maybe they are simply trying to keep the Bush Beans family secret really secret?

Jeff

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 4:30:24 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum

Well, here's another...  There might be a stadium in the circle... But the box about staying 2400 ft above points to a smaller magenta circleScreenshot_20210823-162432.png

Simon Roberts

Aug 23, 2021, 5:10:29 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Um.. this is in simulation mode?

Does it happen in "live" mode?

Are there, perhaps, simulated TFRs going on, either from your flight simulator if you're using one, or from Avare?

oakchas

Aug 23, 2021, 6:34:45 PM8/23/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Yes, it is there in navigate mode...