A-gps or gps with samsung tab a 8 sm-t387v

Roger R

Sep 24, 2018, 2:26:04 PM9/24/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Need some help with info....have an option to buy a new 2018 samsung tab a 8 but model is sm t387v, a derivative of the sm t380, the t387v is a lte version...it is a brand new just out update to the t380 and it is for verizon....hence 387V....two questions..

1) the specs on  previous samsung units, including the sm t380 show A-gsp, glonass and BDS for gps functions....but the specs for the sm t387 shows only A-gps....does this mean it has only assisted gps that requires wifi/data? or is regular GPS just assumed and not listed in specs on samsung? if it is only A-GPS it would be a deal killer of course as want to use only device only/internal gps while flying. It is a brand new model and hard to find info on it. have no intention of even using a carrier at all. The whole point of the thing is the stand alone full functional internal gps engine, without that forget it

and 2) non Avare question but if anyone knows the answer would be appreciated......it seems to be unlocked and has a removable sim card so does anyone know I can remove the sim and install a local sim for various countries in Asia I am gonig to...this is common practice, changing sims in each country or does verizon prevent this by its config even though sim card is removable...then i can use it as a phone while travelling, will not do so here.......thanks...

Roger

John W SBA

Sep 24, 2018, 4:09:10 PM9/24/18
to Roger R, Apps4Av Forum
> want to use only device only/internal gps while flying

A definitive answer would need to come from Samsung, but my experience
is that by carefully finding and turning off everything related to
"background data" and un/re-installing Play Services I can get GPS-only
location in Airplane Mode. When I turn on Location (typically Off),
there are two prompts: Location; and then precise/improved/whatever
Location. I assume the latter is always On if I ever mess up and tap
"Agree" to that second prompt, since I'll never see that 2nd prompt
again unless I un/reInstall Play Services. Gotta love Google, eh?

Bottom line tho, is it will probably work. One method I've used to
ensure that, is installing Avare and trying it in the store. Presumably
not an option for you, so perusing Samsung sources and rummaging the web
is an alternative. I doubt anyone here will have both that particular
device, and a detailed technical understanding of how it does GPS.

Frankly, my advice is to get an external GPS/ADS-B In receiver.
Typically better GPS reception (including WAAS), and ADS-B is very
useful (especially if you are or will be equipped with ADS-B Out).

> and 2) non Avare question

Even more so, yes.

> can remove the sim and install a local sim for various countries

I've had lots of fun with swapping out Verizon SIMs and would not
recommend it. Easier to just buy a T-Mobile phone according to everyone
I've asked who travels a lot. You can then use bluTooth or WiFi
tethering to get data on the tablet.

Anytime I'm flying non-local and thus using Avare, I have at least one
phone running Avare too. This both provides a backup, and allows having
different things displayed simultaneously.

Again though, your best bet for detailed info on devices is the
company(s) and the wider web. As you've stated, the focus here is on
Avare. Please do post here about what you eventually learn, in case it
may be helpful for others in the future.

Happy Flying -j

fly...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 2018, 4:13:32 PM9/24/18
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi Roger.
All the Samsung tablets, that I know of, should provide a sufficient GPS signal without the need of WiFi.

I do not know about your sim card, best to call the carriers that you intend to use. TV

Roger R

Sep 24, 2018, 11:16:00 PM9/24/18
to t v, Apps4Av Forum
I have asked the private seller to send me a screen shot of info in 'about' sectionregarding gps of the tablet/sm-387V....also just remembered a Verizon brick and motar store is in town..will go there and see what they have...but like idea of actually installing Avare at point of purchase from private buyer before buying and see if it works stand alone...thanks for all the input, Roger

Cory hohman

Sep 25, 2018, 11:18:37 PM9/25/18
to Roger R, t v, Apps4Av Forum
I use a Samsung Tab A with WiFi and GPS. No cellular.  I connect to a Stratux ADS-B dual band and it works very well for me! Cory

Sent from my iPhone