Background Data Downloading

ThatAviationGuy

Sep 11, 2022, 1:48:23 PM9/11/22
to Apps4Av Forum
I would like to suggest the downloading of data including weather and maps happen in the background (doesn't have to start automatically, but that way I don't have to keep my phone on for hours at a time).

Peter A. Gustafson

Sep 12, 2022, 10:53:29 AM9/12/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

This is a long desired feature

https://github.com/apps4av/avare/issues/26

It turns out its a bit complicated cuz there are potential pitfalls. And "downloading" could mean several things.  For optimal efficiency, it chould be thought of as "data synchronization".

Different people have different prefs for long term approach.  We've tried some alpha level code to change current practice (to what I thought would be closer to long-term ideal). It wasn't a great user experience and the alpha slowly died as people dropped out going back to current practice.

Its worth restarting the discussion...

On 9/11/22 13:48, ThatAviationGuy wrote:
I would like to suggest the downloading of data including weather and maps happen in the background (doesn't have to start automatically, but that way I don't have to keep my phone on for hours at a time).  --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Apps4Av Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/apps4av-forum/8c7c95b4-c697-4ed0-a42b-6312b8e290e9n%40googlegroups.com.

Apps4av Support

Sep 12, 2022, 9:24:57 PM9/12/22
to Peter A. Gustafson, Apps4Av Forum
Sure. I can implement it. Will need to prioritize between a bunch of things. It's a minor inconvenience for me since I do not download the whole world. I also discourage downloading everything as it serves no useful purpose.

Beach Geek

Sep 13, 2022, 4:41:41 PM9/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Screenshot_20220913-153157.png
I use split screen to update and check weather or keep text msg app open. (Someone always texts during downloads) 😒
Still get "stopped by user" when changing app in lower window.
One of my Motos is fine when keyboard pops up, other stops.

Maybe there's something here you could work with?
If interrupts could be reduced, people could watch their downloads and do something else.

Just a thought, BG

ThatAviationGuy

Sep 13, 2022, 10:55:14 PM9/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
For me I don't need automatic updates. I just want to be able to start the update and leave the app on the background, or turn the screen off.