Audible Alerts

Shane Lenagh

Sep 17, 2022, 9:37:18 PM9/17/22
to Apps4Av Forum
I don't know if this has been done before with Avare (someone probably has a fork for it), but I have developed an apparently-working feature for audible traffic alerts.  I fly a paramotor, and I have no cockpit with which to view traffic (safely) on a regular interval.  But I do have a Sena Bluetooth setup in my helmet earmuffs from which to receive audio from my phone.  So combined with my homebuilt Stratux box attached to my frame, it would be possible for me to get audible feedback from an EFB, and I thought it would be fun to try to develop an "audible" version of Avare that gave me audible alerts--starting with traffic, but I might add other items to it down the road.

At any rate, I thought I would share a quick demo of it--not flying (though I have flown several times with it on earlier versions), but rather using a GDL90/Stratux simulator I modified off Github.  Let me know your thoughts or feedback on whether you might find this useful for those other than the lunatics like us who don't fly with a cockpit (paramotors, powered hang-gliders, etc.), or those who just want audible augmentation for the visual UI.  And any tech folks feel free to offer feedback on the code itself (it is a fork from several months back when I started work on this--will rebase with current changes in the mainline version sometime in the near future):

Best regards,
Shane

Apps4av Support

Sep 18, 2022, 11:33:20 AM9/18/22
to Shane Lenagh, Apps4Av Forum
Impressive. If we get a PR, we can merge it after review. The notifications are too frequent ?
Thanks.

Regards,
Apps For Aviators Support,

We encourage users to use the Forum for all questions. Any updates to the forum will help other users, who might have similar questions.
Forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/apps4av-forum

Richard Misener

Sep 26, 2022, 12:16:28 PM9/26/22
to Apps4Av Forum
I would like to install this on and older phone that is running Android 8 for testing.  How would I go about doing this?

Apps4av Support

Sep 27, 2022, 9:53:47 PM9/27/22
to Richard Misener, Apps4Av Forum
You will need the latest release 10.2.2 just released.
Make sure you are connected to the ADSB device that provides ownship message (has a gps in it). The feature is enabled by default. You can check it while taxiing next to another aircraft if you get ADSB on the ground there.
Will also test in traffic pattern.

Roger R

Oct 3, 2022, 1:28:22 PM10/3/22
to Apps4av Support, Richard Misener, Apps4Av Forum
I was surprised to hear my tablet provide ADSB alerts on the ground after shutdown of the engine. I was aware someone was working on this but not aware it was implemented. There is too much noise in my cockpit to hear the tablet otherwise. I did notice while on the ground in front of my hangar with 3 or 4 acft in the pattern the traffic alerts were literally non-stop. I can set up a dongle thingy to connect to my headset and the tablet. However, it would have been impossibly intrusive to use the radio due to the non-stop alerts in this situation. My ADSB filter is set for 2000ft. Is there a means to reduce the number of alerts. I could go to 500ft on the ADSB filter but I don't want to be playing around with preferences as I transition to the airport environment. Or I could pull the 3.5mm jack from the tablet but and just go with the visual presentation on the tablet. Is there another means? Thanks.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 3, 2022, 1:54:47 PM10/3/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
You can disable the audible alerts from Menu -> preference -> audible traffic alerts

Jeff

Shane Lenagh

Oct 3, 2022, 3:15:09 PM10/3/22
to Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum
I suppose if there were a good source of elevation data for getting AGL altitude a preference could be added for disabling it while on the ground. Short of that, perhaps the second best option would be a preference to allow it to be disabled below a certain speed, to try to achieve (almost) the same effect without the AGL altitude determination challenges.

On my personal version my next project was going to be to implement AGL altitude call-outs (GPWS style), but I am having trouble getting a good AGL read even with the elevation data that I find available for my area.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 3, 2022, 3:38:33 PM10/3/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I believe encoded in the received TIS-B data string is  if the aircraft is on ground or not,  currently Avare does not parse this variable.

in terms of the GPWS which I think has be superseded by TAWS, you have both caution and warning alerts for Terrain and obstacles, these automatically mute based upon some criteria when landing, I believe when you are within the confines of a defined approach, I'm not sure how crazy you want to go with the alerts but the 500ft callout is the standard AGL callout, I seen others offer various callouts as low as 100ft.

Jeff

Apps4av Support

Oct 3, 2022, 3:52:43 PM10/3/22
to Roger R, Richard Misener, Apps4Av Forum
You can disable it from preferences.

Roger R

Oct 4, 2022, 12:21:23 AM10/4/22
to Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum

John W 4sba

Oct 5, 2022, 12:16:48 AM10/5/22
to Jeffrey Ross, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
> disable the audible alerts from Menu -> preference -> audible traffic
alerts

Maybe a future transparent ear outline icon with placement options
that's visible when the Preference is activated, gray when toggled Off
and green or blue for On?

Shane Lenagh

Oct 5, 2022, 11:37:35 AM10/5/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Any thoughts from anyone else about the desirability of a speed limit preference for the audible alerts, with the intention of allowing the user to effectively disable the alerts on taxi, takeoff, and landing by tweaking that (proposed) new preference?

Shane

Oct 5, 2022, 12:08:12 PM10/5/22
to Shane Lenagh, Apps4Av Forum
Can we do something automatic instead of options? ADSB may have some information about vehicles on ground or if ownship is on the ground.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 5, 2022, 12:17:31 PM10/5/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
an ADS-B out transponder in the absence of a WOW switch (Weight On Wheels) will typically use 70% of Vs0 to make the switch from on ground to in the air.  In addition to prevent it from changing to an on ground state due to headwinds/slow flight etc a transponder will also use a gps altitude of +150ft (?) from its power on altitude

Shane Lenagh

Oct 5, 2022, 11:12:34 PM10/5/22
to Apps4av Support, Apps4Av Forum
Yes, if we can get the air/ground bit (§3.5.1.5 below) parsed into the traffic object, that should suffice for filtering out ground "traffic"-- don't have the code in front of me right now, but I believe someone else said that wasn't being done yet:

Shane Lenagh

Oct 7, 2022, 12:42:08 PM10/7/22
to Apps4av Support, Apps4Av Forum
It looks like some of the work for getting the ownship airborne flag was already done at the lowest levels (just hadn't been propagated up to the traffic cache), and the traffic airborne flag just needed to be implemented in a similar way, pushing it up to the traffic object as well.  I did that (attached, for initial review), and that seems to give me what I need to make the audible alerts only sound when both ownship and the traffic subjects are off the ground.

More testing is needed before I submit a pull request, though (may go to one of the local airports and ensure the ground traffic is properly recorded and filtered).  I will be paranoid on null-checks too (more to come on that before my PR), as I know a few of those bit the initial audible PR I did.

Shane

AvareAirborneInd.diff

Apps4av Support

Oct 7, 2022, 3:10:52 PM10/7/22
to Shane Lenagh, Apps4Av Forum
Yes this ground flag is already available.
Regarding test, you don't have to fly to test. The app in the IO tab has a play function. Can provide recorded test file to play.
A couple of null pointers for such an extensive change is no big deal. Users report them quickly.