ADS-B TFRs?

John W 4sba

Sep 13, 2022, 12:20:56 AM9/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Flying an aircraft with ADS-B Out and StratuX In and during subsequent
ground checks, I'm not seeing ADS-B In TFRs. They work correctly if
downloaded before flight with long expiry set and switching off Use ADSB
Weather. It's been a long time since I've used it, so maybe I've
forgotten something or there's some new issue. Any ideas?

Simon Roberts

Sep 13, 2022, 1:01:13 PM9/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Check the stratux web page provided by the box (192.168.10.1 as I recall) and ensure that both receivers are connected and working. If either are not working, the box won't be sending the info to Avare. If they're both working, you might simply have to wait. The weather and other information is trickle fed over time (and only if you're at sufficient altitude and close enough to a ground station). I find it can take many minutes after takeoff before I notice useful stuff showing up (ADS-B traffic should be much more robust, and that typically shows up while still on the ground, though it improves considerably when you get in range of the ground stations).

As a related question, does anyone know if the FAA documents the "cycle time" for weather etc. over the system?

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 13, 2022, 3:44:31 PM9/13/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Avare does not currently import TFR data from ADS-B (FIS-B).  I believe part of the problem is the availability of documentation around the FIS-B data formats.  The documentation is available but at a cost of $360, the data format is outlined in DO-358A.  https://my.rtca.org/productdetails?id=a1B1R000009LguVUAS

Jeff

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 13, 2022, 6:16:37 PM9/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
I agree this should be freely available from the government.

I'm sure that the overlays take the same or similar format but you need to be able to identify which one you are looking at by the type codes along with any other data that might come along with the data and without documentation it is a guessing game.

in terms of which FIS-B products are received and processed by Avare you will get today -
    METAR
    TAF
    NEXRAD
    PIREPS
    Airmets
    Sigmets
(I think that's it)

TIS-B is a single product (what else is there?) -
    Traffic

One last comment, if people haven't seen, in the newest version of Avare if you go to the find tab, enter an airport name, and then long press on the airport, you'll get the airport info screen WITH WEATHER along with the tabs to pull off the chart supplement and approach plates

Jeff

On 9/13/22 5:18 PM, Simon Roberts wrote:
And FWIW, it appears one can geta single user PDF of 358A for $229, but it's been updated to 358B, and I can't find that at less than the $360 you mentioned.

https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?&rid=GS&item_s_key=00650290&item_key_date=780912&input_doc_number=&input_doc_title=

Frankly though, I'm blown away that a public standard like this is not copyright-free government material and freely available :(

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Simon Roberts <si...@dancingcloudservices.com> wrote:
Oh, well, that's good to know. I have seen TFRs while flying, and saw one actually disappear while flying near it. I assumed the info had been updated from the Stratux box. Not a problem in that case, but having the misconception that it would update live could have caused me some heartache!

Meanwhile, this, in 3.4.4.5.2.3, seems to suggest that all the graphical overlays, including TFRs and the weather stuff, take the same format.

So, do we not actually get any of those graphics? Are they all "load in advance via internet" and only traffic is actually coming from the ADS-B/FIS receiver? What gives?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Apps4Av Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/apps4av-forum/7bb48352-bf4f-72ed-dbc5-1be7945c7a5c%40bubble.org.

--
Simon Roberts

--
Simon Roberts

John W 4sba

Sep 15, 2022, 3:28:16 AM9/15/22
to Simon Roberts, Apps4Av Forum
Simon wrote:
> ensure that both receivers are connected and working.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that right away, even though the rest
of the UAT data is displaying fine in Avare. I'd already checked after
flight on the StatuX status pages and both receivers are working
normally of course, or that wouldn't be the case.

> you might simply have to wait.

The longest I've waited is close to an hour, which is well beyond the
UAT transmit interval for TFRs.

> only if you're at sufficient altitude and close enough to a ground
station

My house is line of sight to the local transmitter, and it used to work
here. More importantly though, it never received TFRs on the flight
from Seattle to Santa Barbara near I-5 over many large metro areas and
airports including PDX.

> As a related question, does anyone know if the FAA documents the "cycle
> time" for weather etc. over the system?

I don't recall the times or the URL at the moment, but it shows up near
the top in a quick google search. Try FAA UAT FIS-B

Thanks again for the suggestions and ideas. Hopefully there's a fix
other than setting a long expiry on pre-flight NEXRAD wx download and
toggling ADSB source on/off enroute while hoping there's not a popup TFR
like the one I encountered in flight. I sure was thankful for my choice
of route and altitude to maintain flight following.

John W 4sba

Sep 15, 2022, 4:00:20 AM9/15/22
to Jeffrey Ross, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Jeff wrote:
> Avare does not currently import TFR data from ADS-B (FIS-B).

Guess I completely missed that announcement, if there was one, so Thanks
for the heads up!

> [needed] documentation is ... $360 ... in DO-358A.

Is that a one-time charge, or do they change the format with every chart
cycle? Is there anyone on the Dev Team with the time and skills to fix
it if we muster the donations to cover acquisition of that document?

Here in drought-stricken an fire-prone CA in-flight TFRs are especially
important, but of course VIP and other TFRs plague us all across the
country. Right now (after midnight PT) I count 95 active TFRs at the
Map tab on tfr.faa.gov and even the long-standing ones (e.g. Disney) are
very helpful to have displayed on the active chart in flight.

> find tab, enter an airport name, and then long press on the airport...
> info screen WITH WEATHER along with the tabs to pull off the chart
> supplement and approach plates

That was disorienting at first, but nice in that along with the top-row
Destination, Plan, Plate, CSup and X (cancel) tabs the second row has
the familiar Delete and Label, along with Save - apparently just for
adding it to the top of the Find list without making it the Destination?
Guess that like all new features and UI changes, this would be a good
topic for a new post to the Forum.