Adsb weather not working

Billy Zawacki

Sep 26, 2021, 4:25:47 PM9/26/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I clicked all the boxes for adsb weather and I still am not seeing any weather. I am seeing the adsb traffic. Can you help? Thx

M F

Sep 26, 2021, 4:41:47 PM9/26/21
to Billy Zawacki, Apps4Av Forum
Make sure you have ADSB weather checked (menu-weather- use adsb weather)

You also need to be high enough to receive the signal from ground antennas. I start getting weather about 700 up.

You are probably getting traffic info directly from nearby planes.

Mac

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021, 3:25 PM Billy Zawacki <zawac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I clicked all the boxes for adsb weather and I still am not seeing any weather. I am seeing the adsb traffic. Can you help? Thx

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 26, 2021, 4:45:32 PM9/26/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Need a little more info but...

1) in what way do you believe "in" is not working?
2) what source are you using for ADS-B in?
3) does your ADS-B in source support both 1090mhz and 978mhz (UAT)?

ADS-B weather is part of the FIS-B portion of ADS-B and is only transmitted on UAT (978), make sure your in device supports UAT and UAT in is actually working.  Although FIS-B is pretty much available everywhere in the country, you typically need to be above 2000 or 3000 ft AGL before it becomes reliable.  Also remember that the FIS-B products are rebroadcast every few minutes so depending upon how quickly after getting airborne may have prevented you from seeing the weather.  Lastly when connected to your in device do the following in Avare, from the bottom tabs, choose "Tools" and you should see stuff scrolling on the screen, if you are receiving metars you should see them scroll through the page intermingled with the traffic you are seeing.

See the table below for the update intervals (there are other "products" not listed as well).

Jeff

On 9/26/21 4:25 PM, Billy Zawacki wrote:
Hi, I clicked all the boxes for adsb weather and I still am not seeing any weather. I am seeing the adsb traffic. Can you help? Thx

Andrew Sarangan

Sep 26, 2021, 4:47:41 PM9/26/21
to Billy Zawacki, Apps4Av Forum
Depends on how you are checking it. If you are testing it on the ground, you will see other traffic above you, but not weather. To receive weather, you need to be within line of sight of an ADS-B tower. You can find the tower locations here: http://towers.stratux.me/