Upcoming FAA charting change to the Alaska region (Whitehorse sectional)

Peter Gustafson

Sep 8, 2020, 11:50:48 AM9/8/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Avare users.

The FAA has issued a notice at this link:

Discontinuation of Whitehorse Sectional Aeronautical Chart

Effective February 25, 2021, the Whitehorse Sectional Aeronautical Chart will be discontinued and the United States coverage will appear in an inset on the Juneau Sectional Aeronautical Chart.

See the February 25, 2021, Juneau Sectional Aeronautical Chart, Seward Glacier Area Extension for U.S. coverage previously found on the Whitehorse Sectional

The impact of this our Avare's national vfr chart, downloads, etc will be determined when the new Juneau chart is released.  As an inset, it is unlikely that the Whitehorse coverage will be properly geotagged by the FAA and hence may be a candidate for deletion from the Avare national map.  Those impacted by this change are encouraged to file a feature request with specifics about what is needed to meet your needs for this region.

Peter Gustafson

Nov 22, 2020, 9:39:16 AM11/22/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hello again all, this is just a reminder of this notice that was sent a few months ago by the FAA.  We still have a few months remaining, but I don't recall seeing many comments yet.

Peter Gustafson

Feb 6, 2021, 12:49:15 AM2/6/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

As was announced last September, this upcoming cycle will have see the FAA discontinuation of the Whitehorse sectional.  Whitehorse sectional predominantly covers Canadian airspace.

Apps4Av is adding Seward Glacier inset (the US airspace within the expiring Whitehorse sectional) to our next cycle, shipping in the Juneau sectional zip file.  This is manually trimmed from the Juneau sectional margin, with ground control points so that it overlays on top of the existing chart.  The inset will be updated by the FAA on the 56 day cycle.

For the time being, the expired Whitehorse tiles will be retained for situational awareness only.  This could change in any future cycle.

Tailwinds,
Pete