With apologies, iPad EFB free or trial?

Simon Roberts

Sep 10, 2022, 12:58:15 PM9/10/22
to Apps4Av Forum
So, before I look like a total traitor, let me explain!

I'll be taking my wife on a long cross country, and would like for her to be able to follow the flight on an EFB, and perhaps even ask her for some navigation input. We don't have another Android tablet (and our phones are too small for old eyes!), but by accident (literally, we won it!) we do have a fairly recent iPad.

I was considering just buying another Android tablet to run Avare for her to use, but that does seem a bit of a waste, so, I'm wondering if there's a tolerably good iPad EFB that's either free, or has a useful (i.e, fully functional, unlike bloody foreflight, sorry, washing my mouth out with soap and water now!) free trial.

Has anyone bumped into anything they could recommend that's free for at least a month (a week for the trip and three weeks for my wife to learn some basics)?

And now--with my apologies for sullying the waters--back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Eric Jacobsen

Sep 10, 2022, 1:00:56 PM9/10/22
to Apps4Av Forum
FltPlan Go is free for both Android and iPad and is a very good EFB.

Jeremie D

Sep 10, 2022, 2:11:47 PM9/10/22
to Simon Roberts, Apps4Av Forum
Hey Simon,
I believe it's a fully functional 30 day trial.

Enjoy the trip!
Jeremie

Simon Roberts

Sep 10, 2022, 2:28:12 PM9/10/22
to Jeremie D, Apps4Av Forum
Also good to know, thank you!

Chip Davis

Sep 10, 2022, 4:28:47 PM9/10/22
to Avare
You did a good job of describing your situation and thought process
Simon.  While there seems to be a couple of i-device alternatives to
Avare, I have to ask:
   Does your wife (with the elderly eyes) attempt to process
texts/email/web searches on her phone?
   Would she appreciate having a device that made those tasks much
easier?

I would highly recommend you purchase another inexpensive (~$150)
Android tablet like yours from a membership store, online, or eBay.
That will provide:
 - a familiar Avare installation&configuration experience for you
(new EFB software on new hardware will have a significant
learning-curve for both),
 - true in-cockpit redundancy,
 - a way to display more dynamic data than will fit on the top of the
screen,
 - a way to answer inflight navigational or operational questions
that won't disturb your primary display,
 - a way for her to learn to use the same navigational tool you are
using,
 - access to this esteemed coterie of colleagues instead of joining
another user community.

But the best argument I can make for buying another Android tablet is
that the new one will have more memory, speed, resolution, battery
life, etc., which will allow you to hand-down your current tablet to
her.  (Spring for the Bluetooth keyboard; it's worth it.)

It's not worth the time, effort, headaches, and agita of bringing a
whole new platform up to flight-worthy reliability.  A free i-Pad is
worth what it costs, imho.  Gift it to one of your kids for Christmas.

-Chip-
"Honey, look up the FBO and see if they have a courtesy car while I
dodge these TSTMS..."

-  allow her use it for your trip and

Roger R

Sep 11, 2022, 12:11:21 PM9/11/22
to Chip Davis, Avare
I agree with Chip. Having a similar/familiar tablet device and the same moving map app, Avare, to me would be a big plus and negate having to learn a whole new tablet's operating system, IOS, as well as a diff gps program...do you really want to be doing this on your flight...having the same set up allow for redundancy is good. Also I think it would make your wife's contributions easier and more helpful. And as it seems finances are part of the picture you can go online to ebay or FB marketplace and get a good used Android tablet....I personally use a Nexus 7 (inches) 2nd gen or 2013 model....good response, good resolution and brightness. Plenty of omph for Avare. You can find them on FB marketplace, just search for 'Nexus 7 2013' or Nexus 7 2nd gen....I have bought one or two over the years, in virtually new condition, from 15$ to 50$...sometimes even locally avbl. The orig Nexus 7 2012 will work, but is slower, get the 2013/2nd gen version. Just an idea.

John W 4sba

Sep 11, 2022, 3:02:08 PM9/11/22
to Roger R, Chip Davis, Avare
> ebay or FB marketplace and get a good used Android tablet

For whatever reasons, Appleheads will pay a premium for technologically
inferior iStuff, rather than buy better Android stuff. It's likely the
iPad in question would fetch enough to buy a new $130 Samsung A7 Lite
from Costco (if they still have some). It's a much better form factor
for the cockpit than any "10 inch" models, amply fast for Avare, and
with Costco's excellent return policy (and our credit card's included
double warranty). My wife flies right seat with it and eases my scan by
checking ADSB traffic more frequently, or looking things up
occasionally. At home it's great for cooking propped up by the included
case and large enough for photos, or for reading in Landscape mode. On
our flying trips it small and light enough to bring along on our ground
excursions and accommodations. The same is true of course, for the
variety of 7-8" form factor Androids we've owned starting with the 1st
gen. Nexus 7 that we still use plugged in as a photo gallery on the
fridge now that the battery life is shortening.

Whatever the OP decides, thanks everyone for an interesting discussion.