BUG REPORT: not all notams download

Ryan Sass

Aug 2, 2023, 3:16:59 PM8/2/23
to Apps4Av Forum
Avare is not correctly downloading all Notams for a given flight plan. (This cost me 2.5 hours on a time-sensitive trip, and that's my doing, but still, would nice to have tools available)

Using the 'Plan' tab and the 'brief' button, Avare will pull up, among other things, the NOTAMS for listed airports.

I did that for a flight that went to Twentynine Palms (TNP). The gas pump was INOP and this was listed in the FAA notams database along with another NOTAM (see attached).

I've attached a photo of my flight plan that has been saved in Avare, as well as a screenshot of all the NOTAMS the briefing pulled up. Both the FAA screenshot and the briefing screenshot were generated/pulled at the same time, meaning this is not a discrepancy of time.

For whatever reason, the briefing did not include any NOTAMS from TNP, so I missed that REALLY important piece of info and was stranded for a while.

Can someone please fix? FAA - TNP NOTAMS_fuel 2 Aug 2023.jpg

Using Avare 10.3.0
BRIEFING_Screenshot_20230802_114156_Avare.jpg
FLIGHT PLAN_Screenshot_20230802_114215_Avare.jpg

Apps4av Support

Aug 2, 2023, 3:50:21 PM8/2/23
to Ryan Sass, Apps4Av Forum
Thanks for reporting. Will take a look in code. It's possible that notams are being pulled from different sources and the error is on the update sites. But I agree you need to see all notams and will need to figure out the discrepancy.

ryan...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2023, 3:52:23 PM8/2/23
to Apps4av Support, Apps4Av Forum
Thanks for looking into this! FWIW, this notam exists until the 4th, so I believe it should be a great piece to be reproducible for the next couple of days.

Thanks,

-- Ryan Sass

Apps4av Support

Aug 2, 2023, 3:58:12 PM8/2/23
to ryan...@gmail.com, Apps4Av Forum
So I checked without and code modification for a flight plan from KSBA to KTNP. It's showing proper notams. See attached.
Screenshot_20230802-155649.png

Apps4av Support

Aug 2, 2023, 4:00:29 PM8/2/23
to ryan...@gmail.com, Apps4Av Forum
Attaching again as seems to be some problem with previous attachment.
Screenshot_20230802-155649.png

ryan...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2023, 4:07:13 PM8/2/23
to Apps4av Support, Apps4Av Forum
Got it. What's the !RAL mean? Shouldn't it start with !KTNP or !TNP ???
Thanks,

-- Ryan Sass

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 2, 2023, 4:12:42 PM8/2/23
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
RAL refers to the reporting agency (eg FSS?) for the NOTAM.  I agree it would be a lot easier to find if it led with the airport name, but alas, the FAA doesn't always do things that make sense, maybe there is a method to the FAA's madness?

ryan...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2023, 4:27:58 PM8/2/23
to Jeffrey Ross, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to add a 'search' function for specific terms? It appears I scanned the NOTAMS poorly, and that'd be a helpful feature, for me at least.

Thanks,

-- Ryan Sass

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Apps4Av Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/apps4av-forum/16b9921c-01d8-2d75-635f-6064ea86fb30%40bubble.org.

Rich Klarich

Aug 2, 2023, 10:15:28 PM8/2/23
to ryan...@gmail.com, Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum
pmfji, when I see posts like this I always feel the need to point out getting notams outside of

or a certified provider is a technique, but heck, the notam system is wonky right now.

Screenshot_20230802_211229_Chrome.jpg

ryan...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2023, 10:27:12 PM8/2/23
to Rich Klarich, Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum
Sure. Valid argument, but the discussion is on improving Avare not improving people's preflight habits.

-- Ryan Sass

Sent from my Android device.

Rich Klarich

Aug 3, 2023, 12:15:06 AM8/3/23
to ryan...@gmail.com, Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum
Ouch!  Luckily I have thin skin and never get over getting snarked when lawyering freeware vs my ATP.

ryan...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2023, 12:19:44 AM8/3/23
to Rich Klarich, Jeffrey Ross, Apps4Av Forum
I didn't mean anything by what I wrote other than keeping this discussion focused on Avare features. I think your point is valid but it's a point worth making in a different forum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-- Ryan Sass

Sent from my Android device.

Ibrahim C

Jun 20, 2024, 9:12:52 AM (11 days ago) Jun 20
to Apps4Av Forum
I just downloaded a briefing for a flight from KBFI to KPWT and the briefing included the NOTAMs for KPWT but missed all of the ones for KBFI.