Avare improvements

Dana

Aug 12, 2021, 8:23:14 PM8/12/21
to Apps4Av Forum
After a long week of biplane flying around the northeast during which Avare performed flawlessly, I have a short list of things that I think  would make Avare even better:

The “Show all bases” option… I’d like to see separate checkboxes for airport, heliport, ultralight, and seaplane… I could make an emergency landing on an ultralight field, for example, but not a seaplane base or heliport.

 Display AGL as an option in the dynamic fields on the top of the screen, not just in 3D view, which I don’t find useful.

Also in the dynamic fields, a "final ETA" for the end of the plan (if flown as planned, of course).  Presumably some assumptions  would have to be made regarding winds, but you can get a trip total time on the Plan page, it's just more difficult to get to.

 I’d like to see higher values available for the “early pass timer value”.  In a slow airplane, 60 seconds is way too close; if I’m a mile off the track and I’m doing under 60 knots it’ll never switch to the next segment.  120 or 180 would be more useful.  Again, I know I can advance it manually, this'd just be nicer.

 Airmet/sigmet type to display:  Like the bases, checkboxes would be nice so you can pick and choose what you want, not just a single type, all, or none.

Finally, it would be nice to have an easily accessible button to download/update the latest weather, rather than having to drill down from maps-download.

Jeffrey Ross

Aug 12, 2021, 9:59:46 PM8/12/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Dana,  See my take inline

On 8/12/21 8:23 PM, Dana wrote:
After a long week of biplane flying around the northeast during which Avare performed flawlessly, I have a short list of things that I think  would make Avare even better:
I'm envious, sounds like a lot of fun.

The “Show all bases” option… I’d like to see separate checkboxes for airport, heliport, ultralight, and seaplane… I could make an emergency landing on an ultralight field, for example, but not a seaplane base or heliport.

Partially agree, but I'm not sure if airports are tagged in the charts as an "Ultralight airport" and other than that heliports and seaplane bases (except when B18 is frozen over) are worthless to land planes, and I am unsure of how Avare (and the charts) handle heliports.

 Display AGL as an option in the dynamic fields on the top of the screen, not just in 3D view, which I don’t find useful.

This goes back to calculating AGL from GPS' ellipsoid which maybe way off from reality.

Also in the dynamic fields, a "final ETA" for the end of the plan (if flown as planned, of course).  Presumably some assumptions  would have to be made regarding winds, but you can get a trip total time on the Plan page, it's just more difficult to get to.

I would say the final ETA could be based upon the current ground speed, not sure if there is a better way, I think this is what panel mounted GPS units do as well.

 I’d like to see higher values available for the “early pass timer value”.  In a slow airplane, 60 seconds is way too close; if I’m a mile off the track and I’m doing under 60 knots it’ll never switch to the next segment.  120 or 180 would be more useful.  Again, I know I can advance it manually, this'd just be nicer.

If you don't get off your track it isn't a problem :)  Maybe add the the ability to sequence to the next waypoint based upon either time or distance?  I'll be honest with you, most of the time I end up manually sequencing to skip several waypoints because ATC gave me a "short cut" on an IFR flight plan.  Keep in mind, I fly in the NYC area and NYC ATC doesn't have direct anything in their vocabulary.

 Airmet/sigmet type to display:  Like the bases, checkboxes would be nice so you can pick and choose what you want, not just a single type, all, or none.

not unreasonable.

Finally, it would be nice to have an easily accessible button to download/update the latest weather, rather than having to drill down from maps-download.

Not sure what the reasoning is behind this, but it only becomes a problem on the ground, when you are connected to an ADS-B in device the WX is continually updated if you select ADS-B as your data source.

Jeff

Zubair Khan

Aug 14, 2021, 8:47:41 PM8/14/21
to dmha...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com