Charts no longer load without GPS signal ?

Bill H

Sep 18, 2022, 12:07:25 PM9/18/22
to Apps4Av Forum
Currently running Avare on Samsung tablet and Huawei phone.

Starting this week the charts would not load until the GPS signal was picked up.
When location is off screen shows "Download Chart" even though the requested chart was present on the device  This did not happen in the past. The requested chart would load and show the last known location. It was consistent on both devices. This appears to have changed with the latest update (September 10 ? ).

This is inconvenient for several reasons.  Often for planning purposes on the ground we need to review a chart.  This week while doing my IFR Flight Review I could not bring up a chart that I needed because I was indoors and did not have a GPS signal.  A better solution would have been to simply hide the red airplane and load the chart.

Once location is on and the chart is loaded and the GPS signal if lost we get "No GPS Signal"  but the chart stays loaded and you can switch charts which is still okay as it has been in the past.

I have submitted the above to the support email and am currently waiting for a reply but I was wondering if anyone else noticed or found it inconvenient.

         BH

Apps4av Support

Sep 18, 2022, 12:11:50 PM9/18/22
to Bill H, Apps4Av Forum
You can go to Simulator mode then charts will show. Will look into loading charts from last location.

Bill H

Sep 18, 2022, 12:54:57 PM9/18/22
to Apps4Av Forum
That solved my issue.  Thanks for your prompt reply.

BH

Peter A. Gustafson

Sep 19, 2022, 9:19:59 AM9/19/22
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

For clarity, I would assume that your device reported GPS location as 0,0 temporarily.  Hence, avare was prompting to download a chart of null island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_Island).

This isn't something I anticipate would be "fixed" in avare, as the posibility of actually crossing this location exists. Obviously no US chart exists there and you might think the code should just assume an error.  But an enterprising user could create tiles of an international chart and use it in Avare.  (An available chart might even exist in the TPC charts distributed with Avare??? ... I doubt it.)