Download fails if screen is rotated or minimized

Andrew Sarangan

Sep 10, 2021, 10:17:32 PM9/10/21
to Apps4Av Forum

One aspect I would like to see corrected is how the download works. This is on a Motorola phone. The screen has to remain active and in the same orientation during download.  If I switch to another app, I get "Download Failed". The same happens If the screen orientation changes. This can be a pain during large updates. Putting the phone down on a table often changes the orientation. I am not sure why this is the case, because many other apps continue data transfers even when minimized so this can't be a fundamental limitation. Any thoughts?

Alexander Gooch

Sep 10, 2021, 10:28:19 PM9/10/21
to Andrew Sarangan, Apps4Av Forum
I have noticed this too and it is extremely annoying!

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021, 19:17 Andrew Sarangan <asar...@gmail.com> wrote:

One aspect I would like to see corrected is how the download works. This is on a Motorola phone. The screen has to remain active and in the same orientation during download.  If I switch to another app, I get "Download Failed". The same happens If the screen orientation changes. This can be a pain during large updates. Putting the phone down on a table often changes the orientation. I am not sure why this is the case, because many other apps continue data transfers even when minimized so this can't be a fundamental limitation. Any thoughts?

John W SBA

Sep 11, 2021, 3:38:02 PM9/11/21
to Alexander Gooch, Andrew Sarangan, Apps4Av Forum
I believe it was many versions ago that Avare would "pause/resume"
Downloads. That is, if I forget and do something that interrupts a
download it will automatically resume from where it left off once I
re-start the download.

I haven't been bothered by the occasional interrupted download, because
I do all possible to avoid background processes. In the past it seemed
that some apps with background processes may have later caused problems
with Avare in flight. Mainly though, they use battery and other
resources mostly for spyware so I disable background processes
everywhere possible including Avare. I routinely go a week per charge
on my aged S7 phone thanks to this, while my friend's identical phone
often hits 10% battery in a day thanks to her leaving everything on even
when not in use. I use the phone for regional flights, mainly for
initial heading and traffic.

I have a tablet used almost exclusively for long x/c flights with
everything possible turned off. A related feature I'd like in Avare, is
the ability to easily copy all settings and downloads between devices
via SD on OTG.

t v

Sep 11, 2021, 4:17:05 PM9/11/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi everyone.
Unless something new was introduced recently in the AOS to fix the problem, which I do not believe it was, there is No good fix for that. The OS is actually the bottle neck here and it interrupts all displayed processes when the switch takes place. TV

Jeffrey Ross

Sep 11, 2021, 6:24:29 PM9/11/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

Disable the sensor detection for orientation in Avare, it will prevent the screen rotation.

In my case I use portrait mode since it sits in a tablet holder and doesn't rotate anyway.

Jeff

Moto X

Sep 13, 2021, 8:53:09 PM9/13/21
to t v, Apps4Av Forum
I have done a fair amount of downloading recently, while testing SD card access.  My observation is that if a download is interrupted, and Avare is not restarted, but download is restarted, the downloading will pick up where it left off.

To me that seems reasonable.  There are no special dialogs.

It is an annoyance when downloads are interrupted, and require manual intervention, but this behavior seems to minimize the work on the part of the user to resume download activities.

Zubair Khan

Sep 13, 2021, 9:04:32 PM9/13/21
to mot5857...@gmail.com, fly...@yahoo.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Android supports background downloading. I think people can unknowingly cause server load with that. Hence this way.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile