Re: [Apps4Av] Digest for apps4av-forum@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 1 topic

Phil Pirrotta

Dec 30, 2021, 12:47:09 PM12/30/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Out here in the Pacific Northwest the adds weather is blocked by both mountains, and distance so the only reliable inflight weather is Serius XM that works even on the ground in backcountry airstrips. One workaround is to cell tower or wifi download the latest weather before departure. Then switch to adds weather enroute then repeat at your next fuel stop.  Most lightplanes only fly a couple of hours per stop. Unfortunately it does require switching download preference on every stop.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021, 8:40 AM <apps4a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Simon Roberts <dancingclou...@gmail.com>: Dec 29 09:37AM -0800

Might be insufficient altitude and/or location. The transmitters that send
out the weather information are clustered around major airports and then
thinly spread elsewhere. If you're 10,000 AGL, you should get a good signal
"most places" I think, but if you're 2,000 AGL, you likely won't get
anything unless you're on class bravo's doorstep. That's not Stratux, nor
avare, that's the infrastructure.

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:57:34 PM UTC-7 Roger R wrote:

Flyboat <rohrb...@aol.com>: Dec 29 09:48AM -0800

Well, actually when I was using fltplan go, getting weather was no issue at
3,000 feet where i live. I will play with the settings some more
perhaps finding a slution. With Pltplan go... I had metars and radar over
the maps with no issue all tho the radar was horrible, with early edition
of Roblox
looks (and I understand why), squares, etc, but worked. I'll keep playing
around avare.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 12:37:38 PM UTC-5
Simon Roberts <dancingclou...@gmail.com>: Dec 29 09:50AM -0800

Indeed, the FAA provides a KML file that documents the coverage of ADS B.
Here's a screenshot that shows the zoomed out view:

[image: Screenshot at 2021-12-29 10-44-15.png]

It came from here: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace/ and
that link includes far more description of the nature and limitations of
the service.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 10:37:38 AM UTC-7 Simon Roberts wrote:

Simon Roberts <dancingclou...@gmail.com>: Dec 29 09:53AM -0800

@Flyboat Well, yeah, if you were seeing the signals reliably at a given
point in space, then that's not the problem... In that case, the only other
point that comes to mind is the configuration setting that was already
mentioned.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 10:50:12 AM UTC-7 Simon Roberts wrote:

Jeffrey Ross <je...@xyzzy.bubble.org>: Dec 29 02:47PM -0500

Best I can tell Avare does reliably receive METARs and TAFs from Stratux
(and other compatible ADS-B in devices).

One thing that was mentioned is you were trying Fltplan Go and this
raised a red flag for me.  Without going too far into the technical
weeds, both Avare and FltPlan Go need to be able to receive the ADS-B in
data from the same place on the tablet (it is called a network port and
is UDP/4000), the problem is only one application at a time can access
that network port, so if you have started up FltPlan Go and then try
the Stratux.

The first thing I'd check is to make sure FltPlan Go is completely
closed and exited (force close?) before opening Avare so that Avare's
access is not blocked.

Second item, if you are still not receiving data from the Stratux unit,
you can connect to the StratuX box (http://192.168.10.1) and one of the
menu options will allow you to see the METARs and TAFs coming in, make
sure they are being received.

Lastly, keep in mind that METARs are updated hourly/as available and
broadcast every 5 minutes and TAFs are updated every 6hrs/as available
and broadcast every 10 minutes.

Side note, Avare uses CONUS NEXRAD images (as opposed to Regional),
these images are updated every 15 minutes and are several minutes old
even when transmitted, the images are good enough to use for planning,
but not good enough to pick your way through thunderstorms!

Jeff

On 12/29/21 12:53 PM, Simon Roberts wrote:
Flyboat <rohrb...@aol.com>: Dec 29 08:44PM -0800

Yep, Fltplan go was uninstalled from my tablet. UDP/4000 is enabled and
I'm receiving good signals from both *(http://192.168.10.1
<http://192.168.10.1>) 978 MHz and 1090 MHz*.
Rain ever stops when I can get out again I'll keep trouble shooting.