Canada VFR

Timothy Avery

Oct 1, 2021, 7:14:51 PM10/1/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Has anything been done as far as Canadian Sectionals.  Am planning a trip from Boise ID are to Alaska

John W SBA

Oct 1, 2021, 8:23:05 PM10/1/21
to Timothy Avery, Apps4Av Forum
> Has anything been done as far as Canadian Sectionals.

I very much doubt it. NavCanada is a private corporation that supplies
all CDN charts & info, and they want BIG bucks to provide any of it to
the Apps4Av dev team. Far beyond what could be paid for by our
donations, and well outside the core focus of Avare.

> Am planning a trip from Boise ID are to Alaska

I've flown several routes between Boise & Edmonton and all the way
across Canada to Ketchikan, and am jealous of the trip you have ahead.
My own solution was to buy NavCan paper charts & info to supplement
Avare. In Avare's menu for Downloads, the Topo & long-expired FAA WAC
charts helped, along with various other digital info sources like
SkyVector. It's possible (though probably not strictly legal) to scan
or photograph the CDN stuff and import it into Avare, but would probably
be a massive amount of work.

Please let us know how you decide to handle the Canadian part of your
route, and post any link you create for those interested to follow your
flights (I did a blog, and though it has very little aviation info I'm
happy to share the link with anyone interested). I've tried several
times to solicit help from others interested in using Avare in Canada,
but so far there's been very little response.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 1, 2021, 8:37:47 PM10/1/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Timothy,

Just a heads up with Alaska (Hawaii and Puerto Rico as well)

Weather for those locations will not display in Avare and you must the
the FAA identifier for the locations not the ICAO identifier.

For example, Bethal, AK the ICAO identifier is PABE and is not
searchable in Avare, you need to use the FAA identifier of BET,  San
Juan,PR ICAO is TJSJ which is not searchable but SJU is.

Jeff

Timothy Avery

Oct 3, 2021, 11:23:34 AM10/3/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Can you add user waypoints in Avare?

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 4, 2021, 8:51:14 AM10/4/21
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Yes you can define up to 100 user defined waypoints, you can import them via a KML file and they will be searchable within Avare.

John W SBA

Oct 4, 2021, 8:06:12 PM10/4/21
to Timothy Avery, Apps4Av Forum
> Can you add user waypoints in Avare?

Currently, I think so. Don't know how Google's restrictive changes in
Android might affect it. I've done it using either a long-press on
screen for an approximate point away from airports, etc. on charts; or
via input (in Avare format) of GPS coordinates in the Find tab and then
long-press that and give it your own Label. This is from memory, so
maybe things have already changed since I last added a Waypoint.