Manual Installation

john...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2022, 4:43:49 AM1/13/22
to Apps4Av Forum
The Manual Install link on the Apps4Av website goes to an address that doesn't have the latest versions, and I'm unable to log into the site to fix it. If you're looking for the link with the newest versions of Avare to install manually, try this link:
Note that it is NOT an https page, so your browser might notify you that it may not be a secure connection. On my version of Firefox it does work after approving several warnings.

For anyone with a rooted Kindle or something similar, here's what I had to do in order to nab the zipped APK file for 10.0.8 just now:
*Nothing I tried would enable downloading with the Kindle. FDROID only has an ancient version (8.3), and I didn't want to risk an infected version from one of the 3rd party sites offering APKs.
*I downloaded it from the above apps4av.org/share link with Firefox on a Linux PC. I sent the quite small file to the Kindle via BlueTooth but any method would work.
*I found the file with the Android file browser (I used Amaze) and clicked on it. In a few seconds Avare was updated and I began enjoying all the improvements since 8.3 including the ability to download and use the Expired WAC files to skim for initial flight planning.

For anyone curious about the Kindle or rooting, here's some info:
Fire HD10, Android 7.1.2, LineageOS 14.1-20190926-UNOFFICIAL-suez, kernel 3.18.19+, patch 9/5/2019. It cost less than $100 as I recall, has pretty good specs, and flies like the wind running Avare in LineageOS. I love that it doesn't seem to get the Avare black border problem on some zoom levels like my Samsungs all do.

I haven't bothered to check for system updates since it's only a kitchen cooking reference other than the few long x/c flights we're doing lately. For shorter flights I just use a phone to run Avare. It's been a great tablet since I got the hideous Kindle OS off it. Installing apps can be quite problematic, because I didn't install the Google stuff that would enable using gPlay. Luckily, gBoard seems to work. Doing it again, I'd probably go ahead and G-infest it but I quite like LineageOS after having toyed with a Pixel.