Tablets

command...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 12:47:52 AM (11 days ago) Jun 20
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi everyone,

I'm curious what other folks are doing for android tablets these days. One of my tablets broke and am now shopping for a new one. Everything is so big now. I mount my tablet on the yoke so I have an easy view of the plates and charts. Seems the smallest size I can get and have decent memory is 11". I'm testing out the Samsung S9 FE, but it is too big for my yoke mount! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

My backup tablet is an S2 8". The problem is it is stuck with Android v7. Is there a chance the team can excuse registration for these older devices so they can still function with the legacy app?

gldre...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2024, 7:16:55 AM (11 days ago) Jun 20
to Apps4Av Forum
I use the Lenovo Tab M8 4th Gen (TB300FU), which I bought last year specifically to run Avare (and now it runs AvareX). It's 8", so it fits nicely on the yoke; it runs Android 13 (Go edition), and it cost $80 at Microcenter (it's now $90).

Jeffrey Ross

Jun 20, 2024, 11:45:57 AM (11 days ago) Jun 20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I've been using the Samsung SM-T380 and the SM-T290 however they are beginning to get a little long in the tooth.  The size was reasonable and they are cheap tablets.

I recently picked up a Lenovo M9 TB310FU and I'm happy with it, it is about a 1/4" longer and 1/2" wider than the Samsung units, but not enough that I found objectionable.

My only issue is that being used to the Samsung UI the Lenovo took a little bit to adjust too, also by default the Lenovo turns off the three navigation buttons along the bottom and had to search for the setting to re-enable them.

Just make sure whatever tablet you get has a bare minimum of 2GB or RAM, with 3GB+ being a better choice.  Avare will work with 16GB of storage but I would considered 32GB to be the minimum today.

The problem with the older tablets is not just the registration, the tablets don't support the current SSL (Encryption) standards and you will find that as time goes on you will start losing access to encrypted/https sites.  It isn't that Avare won't work on the older tablets it is the rest of the world moving forward making them obsolete.   In my case with the T380's the battery in one is starting to fail, even if Samsung offers a battery replacement I'm sure the cost will be more than if I find a new(er) replacement tablet... which sucks as the tablet does what I need it to do even though it isn't a very fast unit.

Jeff

azch...@juno.com

Jun 21, 2024, 9:23:23 AM (10 days ago) Jun 21
to command...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
I've used a Samsung TAB A 32GB for a long time.  It has worked well for me.  Not too big.  Not too small.  I see used ones on ebay for $50 or so.

Rick
Tucson

command...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2024, 7:18:27 PM (8 days ago) Jun 23
to Apps4Av Forum
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts were more about what can we do when these older smaller devices are no longer supported. The Lenovo M9 may be the most recent/viable option, though I've read that Lenovo isn't keeping up with security updates.

gldre...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2024, 8:49:03 AM (7 days ago) Jun 24
to Apps4Av Forum
The Lenovo M8 is keeping up reasonably well (currently on April 5 security level). I don't know how long that'll continue, but for $80 new I don't mind if I have to upgrade it every few years, if I can still get the same small physical size.