Developer questions

Simon Roberts

Sep 29, 2021, 6:21:23 PM9/29/21
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi all, I have some questions that I'm hoping developers can answer, with a view to diving into the code somewhat. For background and to give an idea where details or references that I should study might help me, versus where I'm likely to be able to fill in the blanks from a brief overview, I am *not* an Android developer, but I have a fair amount of Java experience. Also, I'm essentially a maven user, and have no real experience with gradle, so if that becomes relevant, again a little more detail

1) What version of the Java language is this written against? I believe that Android lags mainstream Java somewhat, perhaps particularly so if one is trying to create an app that will run on older versions of Android.

2) Are the "core" Java libraries mostly the same? E.g. if we're writing in Java language version 8 do we have the date/time API? Do we have Streams? Or are the libraries essentially Android specific and I have to go read a bunch of documentation? (Indeed, if so, can anyone easily give me an instant reference to that documentation?)

3) I see 8 source files that contain tests, but that doesn't seem like a lot given the amount of code. Am I missing anything, or is that the current set?

4) Initially, I'm looking to change the way the KML files are formatted (I want to interoperate with an application that uses the <TimeStamp> tag in KML, and in Avare, the point time seems to be simply dumped into a CDATA block.) I found some google documentation on this but it's very terse. I'm pretty sure I can handle the timestamp tag itself, but does anyone have good references for the KML format as a whole, since presumably there are other parts of that CDATA block that I could expand into the KML?

5) Also on KML,  Google Earth seems to manage to parse the timestamp out of the CDATA block (which I guess is partly why this format is used?) However, at least on my system, the time is recorded in UTC, but in a text string that claims it's MDT. Any quick pointers to how that could be happening (particularly if anyone thinks it could be "outside" of Avare, perhaps in my Straux? Or in the Galaxy Tab?) would be most welcome.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me to get started on this.

Cheers,
Simon

Simon Roberts

Sep 29, 2021, 6:36:09 PM9/29/21
to Apps4Av Forum
I guess now I find question 6) how do I fake movement in the GPS? I found what I thought should do this, and cycled the emulator through half a dozen points (around a fake pattern of a local airport), but when I quit, the resulting KML file had zero points in it. I think I don't know enough about how to do the emulation, perhaps?

Zubair Khan

Sep 30, 2021, 10:57:40 PM9/30/21
to dancingclou...@gmail.com, apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Hello

You can check code for Avare external IO module as it has a GPS simulator in it.

It's mostly Java with some xml.

In order to code you will need to use Android studio.

Thanks

Sent from ProtonMail mobile