Not able to show ADSB Traffic from Stratux on Samsung Tablet, but able to on Samsung Phone

Tim

Aug 25, 2020, 4:53:53 PM8/25/20
to Apps4Av Forum

I am having problems using Stratux ADSB with Avare on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 (Tablet).

In short, traffic display works on my Smartphone but not on my Tablet.

I have read Apps4Av Forum discussions on this and some Reddit.com/r/stratux discussions, but I have not been successful in having traffic display on the Avare Map page or Tools tab on my Tablet.

I recently built a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/Stratux setup.  I know it is receiving ADSB transmissions from aircraft and is producing a WiFi signal because it is working successfully on my Samsung S5 SmartPhone, including display on the Map, and a data stream on the Tools Tab.  On the Tablet, I am able to select Stratux as a WiFi source.  I am able to open a browser (Firefox) and view address 192.168.10.1.  It shows the activity for 978 and 1090 frequencies on the main page.  It also shows a tabular list of airplanes, their callsigns, locations, altitudes, and more on the traffic subpage of 192.168.10.1 in the browser.  I have complied with the instructions to select Preferences->GPS> WiFi Port set to 4000, and to restart Avare.  But there is no graphical display of traffic and there is no data stream on the tools tab.  Please help.

Misc info:

Tablet is running Android 7.1.1 and Avare 8.1.7 and Avare External I/O 4.0.4 (also tried with this uninstalled)

Phone is running Android 6.0.1 and Avare 8.1.7 and Avare External I/O  4.0.4

Screenshots available if it would help.

I have been using Avare for several years (without the ADSB) and it is great.  Thank you to all volunteers. -Tim

Barrett Thompson

Aug 25, 2020, 5:06:49 PM8/25/20
to Tim, Apps4Av Forum
2 things to check that have cause me grief in the past:

1. Do you have any sort of battery saver setting enabled on the tablet? If so, disable it and try again.
2. Have you run any other EFB software on the tablet recently (FltPlanGo, Garmin Pilot, etc.)? IIRC, if one of those apps "claims" port 4000, Avare cannot access it until it is freed up.

t v

Aug 25, 2020, 6:13:51 PM8/25/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Also check your Permissions and use External GPS... Verify All your settings against your working device. TV

Tim

Aug 26, 2020, 2:56:50 AM8/26/20
to Apps4Av Forum

Problem Solved:  ADSB Aircraft Now Showing After Change of Battery Settings

Barrett and TV, thank you, thank you, thank you for your rapid and thoughtful responses.  Problem solved!

It turns out the first suggestion in the first reply (Barrett's) worked.  I changed the battery settings and now aircraft show on the map (and on the Tools tab)!

The battery power settings are in Settings>Device Maintenance>Battery.  Then there are 3 levels: OFF, MID, and MAX.  I changed from MID to OFF and that enabled the display to work.  Later, looking at the MID settings in more detail, there are sub-settings for Brightness, CPU Speed, and Background Network Usage.  I changed Network Usage to ON and that what was the essential change.  ON means "Allows apps that are running in the background to use Wi-Fi" per the setting's description.

The suggestion to check for other programs that may "claim" port 4000 was welcome but I did not have any other programs such as FltPlanGo or Garmin Pilot running.  Thanks.

The suggestion to check for Permissions was also appreciated.  Changing this wasn't needed since the problem was the settings as discussed above.  Thanks.

The suggestion to try an External GPS and compare settings to the working device was also not needed.  Thanks.

Again, Barrett and TV, thank you very much.

I am responding to each of you separately because I don't know if you will get a notification if I reply to only one person.

-Tim

Tim

Chip Davis

Aug 26, 2020, 2:33:41 PM8/26/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
... and further demonstrating the "wisdom of the crowd" and the value
of FOSS.  Now, all we need is a globally-accessible repository for all
the "problem->resolution" knowledge we have accumulated. I know the
"power-setting" issue has been around for years; it would be nice to
have a central location for all our hard-won solutions.

Yes, I know this is a classic "bell the cat" problem, but I hate to
see users try Avare, get frustrated over an issue, and just give up
and buy another package.

-Chip-

On 8/26/2020 2:58 AM, Tim wrote:

> Problem Solved:ADSB Aircraft Now Showing After Change of Battery
> Settings

Andy

Aug 26, 2020, 3:41:23 PM8/26/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I agree and think that either a really robust user manual or some kind of matrix/cross reference database or spreadsheet... I don't know what. I for one have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out something that many already knew but hard to find by searching. I'm not a programmer but this might be an area where I could contribute.

Michael Koser

Oct 11, 2020, 3:22:17 PM10/11/20
to Apps4Av Forum
Okay, so I am having the same issue. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 10in tablet displays everything perfectly but my 7in does not? I do not have any other navigation software on this tablet and the battery saving feature has been turned off. I do get good traffic indications through the stratux manager and stratux app. Not sure what to try next? Thanks for any input.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 11, 2020, 5:59:24 PM10/11/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

One question, which Samsung Tablet are you using that is giving you an
issue?  I'm currently using the Samsung SM-T380, but have also used
SM-T350, SM-T290, and SM-T318, plus various Samsung cell phones so I
know they do work.

First thing I'd check is go to Preferences -> Display and look for
"Filter ADSB Traffic"  This will limit traffic to +/- the number of feet
for the option chosen,  I personally choose 3000.

The next thing to check is to choose the "TOOLS" tab along the botton,
you should see data scrolling by pretty quickly along the bottom,
unfortunately the font color is somewhat muted so it is difficult to see
but you should see aircraft information scroll by on that page, you'll
probably see the occasional METAR, TAF, etc scroll by too.  Make sure
you are actually seeing data there, a screen capture might be useful so
you can go back and review it later.

Jeff

Michael Koser

Oct 11, 2020, 6:32:24 PM10/11/20
to Apps4Av Forum

Hi Jeff and thanks for your quick reply. I am using the Samsung SM–T230NU 7 inch tablet as a yoke mount. I also use a Samsung SM-T550 10 inch that works perfectly. I have matched all the settings line by line between the two units but that didn't seem to correct the issue. I have tried several altitude filters and that hasn't corrected the problem. I have looked at the tools tab before but don't remember any data scrolling. I will certainly investigate that tomorrow when I'm with the plane. I am thinking that it is a Avare app setting that I'm missing because I am getting data through the other two stratux apps. By the way, I'm having the same lack of traffic display on my Samsung Galaxy 10 plus phone but I rarely use that on the plane. It's nice to have as a backup though.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 11, 2020, 6:38:28 PM10/11/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com
Check the following

under Preferences -> GPS make sure the "External WiFi Port" is set to 4000, I would also suggest if it is at 4000 now to erase the current value and re-enter 4000.  After doing that try closing the application (press the menu button and close Avare) and re-open it.

Make sure you are actually connecting to your Stratux device.

Lastly what other two stratux apps are you referring to?  You can only have one application on your tablet running that can receive ADS-B data at a time, if you have more than 1 running the first application will get the data and the other applications will get nothing.

Jeff

Michael Koser

Oct 11, 2020, 6:49:10 PM10/11/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I will try to reset the external Wi-Fi port by re-entering 4000 and closing the app and then reopen it. The other two apps that I'm talking about is the stratux manager and the stratux app. Stratux manager shows me the raw data with out any type of overlay chart. The stratux app is kind of like a radar screen with distance rings that will display traffic on it as well.

Jeffrey Ross

Oct 11, 2020, 7:11:31 PM10/11/20
to apps4a...@googlegroups.com

On 10/11/20 6:49 PM, Michael Koser wrote:
> I will try to reset the external Wi-Fi port by re-entering 4000 and
> closing the app and then reopen it. The other two apps that I'm
> talking about is the stratux manager and the stratux app. Stratux
> manager shows me the raw data with out any type of overlay chart. The
> stratux app is kind of like a radar screen with distance rings that
> will display traffic on it as well.

You just set off an alarm bell with the Stratux app, this app sounds
like it listens on port 4000, you can only have one application at a
time listen for data on port 4000, try making sure the app is completely
closed before running Avare.

Jeff

Chris Ruf

Dec 15, 2020, 11:19:17 PM12/15/20
to Apps4Av Forum
I've had a similar experience with a Samsung S6 - works with just Avare to get ADSB in from a Stratus 3i
The Samsung S9 does not work, unless I use the external I/O app.
Now however I'm wondering if part of the problem that I also have the FltPlan Go app installed too. I have had FltPlan Go connect to the Stratus unit. I wonder if I disconnected FltPlan Go and or uninstalled it; if that will fix the connnection in Avare.
I am asking if the data stream can only have 1 app listening at a time?